We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Edinburgh to Stair via Avon Valley

the overflow
Level Contributor
428 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip Edinburgh to Stair via Avon Valley

Aussie couple visiting edinburgh in late July.

It appears my great (x3) grandfather left Stair ayrshire in 1853 for the greener grass in new south wales.Looking to make a day trip edinburgh-stair return.

whats in stair?

is there any way I could do this day trip by public transport ? ( i think i will need a car)

other places of interest on the way are carstairs, stonehouse, strathavon,avon valley.

could you suggest a significant walk on the route

how can i get an insight in the situation in rural ayrshire in the 1850;s?

thanks for your help.

9 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip Edinburgh to Stair via Avon Valley

This trip is not really possible other than by car . However, you could easily take a day going cross country visiting all the places on your list- the time point to point is about 2.5 hours Edinburgh/Carstairs/Stonehouse/Strathaven/Stair. I don't know the area really but Stair looks just like a township rather than even a village, a few houses and farms scattered around.

For historical information try these people- they should be able to point you in the right direction. www.ayrshirearchives.org.uk/contact.asp

Scotland
Level Contributor
186 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip Edinburgh to Stair via Avon Valley

A car would be essential to get the best of a day trip from Edinburgh. For me Carstairs and Stonehouse are drive through places - no reason to stop. Strathaven is a small town, nice for a wander and coffee stop, I don't know much about the Avon valley though. As 3nations family says, Stair is just a smattering of houses and a pub

http://www.stairinn.co.uk/

From Stair you are only a 15 minute drive from Dumfries House, a stately home in 2000 acre, bought in 2007 by a consortium of charitable and heritage bodies led by Prince Charles. It's well worth a visit and has walks in the grounds and a coachhouse cafe.

http://www.dumfries-house.org.uk/

What kind of hike are you looking for? Have a look at some of the walks on this list, the Muikirk ones will be closest to Stair. Also in the area is the River Ayr Way - maybe a section of that would fit the bill.

walkhighlands.co.uk/glasgow/ayrshire.shtml

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip Edinburgh to Stair via Avon Valley

You will definitely need a car to visit Stair. It is literally what other people describe. It is about 12 miles from Ayr.

I got married at the church in Stair and it is lovely. The church grounds is a cemetery where I have ancestors buried. The Stair Inn would be a decent place to stop for a bite to eat before you continue your journey.

Enjoy!

the overflow
Level Contributor
428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip Edinburgh to Stair via Avon Valley

thanks for your help...this is a one day family history trip...I am not ancestry buff but ii am in edinburgh for a couple of days and I knew my Kirkland forebears were from ayrshire and lanarkshire.

my great X3 grandfather was married at the church in stair in 1845. I suspect he and his family were farm workers in eastern ayrshire and lanarkshire.some of his children were born in stair and another in carstairs and some in new south wales. I think he was born in stonehouse.His wife was from stair.

thanks again for your help.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip Edinburgh to Stair via Avon Valley

Hope you have a great trip. Might take a wee run down in the car soon myself to Stair ;-)

the overflow
Level Contributor
428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip Edinburgh to Stair via Avon Valley

just to add to the day trip...

whats a nice beach on the ayrshire coast if its a nice day and we go through to the coast

is there a local history museum in ayr

what is the main town for eastern ayrshire

tks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip Edinburgh to Stair via Avon Valley

Nice beach? - Ayr, Prestwick, Troon (all long + sandy)

History? There's a small industry built around Rabbie Burns, so it may help you to see if any Burns works or travels bisect your family's background.

Although, I'm a native, I would say "not sure". Cumnock? Ayr?

You may want to visit Wanlockhead and Leadhills en route. High, mining villages in unusual scenery.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip Edinburgh to Stair via Avon Valley

Would recommend the Robert Burn's Experience museum in Alloway, Ayr.

The biggest town in East Ayrshire is Kilmarnock. However Ayr is in South Ayrshire and is closer to Stair. The beaches have improved in recent years.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
213 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip Edinburgh to Stair via Avon Valley

The Stair Inn is a lovely pub for lunch or dinner, or it certainly was the last time I was there. My Dad once told me that he used to walk from Tarbolton to the Stair Inn with his friends on a Sunday, in the days when the laws were such that you had to be so many miles from home, on a Sunday, to legally drink in a pub!

Reply to: Day Trip Edinburgh to Stair via Avon Valley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ayrshire
Recent Conversations
More Ayrshire Topics