We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United States to Pietrelcina

Which Pietrelcina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
5 posts
Save Topic
United States to Pietrelcina

My husband and I are thinking about plannin a trip in September 2010 to go to Pietrelcina, what airport do we fly into? Also suggestions would be appreciated as to renting a car? We would like to go to San Giovanna Rotundo and to Lanciao Italy. We have been to Italy on a tour of rome, vernice etc. but have never driven ourselves, are we trying to do something difficult? How difficult would it be to get around to these places and is it possible to stay in one centralized location?

Thanks

Linda

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United States to Pietrelcina

The website below indicates the location of Pietrelcina along with the closest airports. Check with AutoEurope as to availability of car rentals at the airport you opt for. I have used them almost everty time I drove through Italy. Hope this helps. Enjoy Italia!

fallingrain.com/world/IT/00/Pietrelcina.html

Edited: 25 February 2010, 19:54
Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United States to Pietrelcina

Get a good map (I recommend Michelin) and you will soon be able to map out the routes you will take to the towns you wish to visit. Driving in Italy is fun to me, but not in major cities due to zones that prohibit rental cars. (The fines can be large and could come as long as a year later) I have always loved driving in Italy!

usa
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: United States to Pietrelcina

Thanks for the info, I have already ordered the map. When you say rental cars are not allowed in big cities, this does not include the areas I mentioned that we want to see does it? Also would you recommend staying at one place and driving around or stay at one centralized location. I really don't know ho far apart Pettrelcina, San Giovanna Rotudo and Lanciano are. Maybe we will be trying to do too much?

Thanks for your imput.

Linda

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,650 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United States to Pietrelcina

In many Italian towns, the narrow medieval streets in the centre are not suitable for motor vehicles, and only residents and essential services are allowed to enter. This usually means that you have to park outside the town walls and walk. Hotel guests usually can drive in to drop or pick up luggage.

I don't know the details of what might apply in the places you are intending to visit. Ask the hotels where you will be staying.

To get an idea of travel times and costs, use www.viamichelin.com

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,929 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: United States to Pietrelcina

While Naples is, as the first reply showed, the nearest major airport, I believe it has few flights from the USA.

Rome is only a three hour or so drive away from Pietrelcina. It would be probably be quicker and easier to rent your car at Rome's Fiumicino Airport rather than take a connecting flight to Naples and then rent.

Edited: 25 February 2010, 23:44
Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United States to Pietrelcina

I meant that rental cars are not allowed in certain areas of some larger towns and cities and many tourists do not notice the "ZTL" signs and then are sent tickets which can come to you up to 18 months after you have been there! Don't let that deter you from driving because if you are visting smaller towns you have the opportunity of seeing lovely scenery and the ability to move about when you want to and where you want to.

The Rotundo is in Pietrelcina while Lanciano is about 210 Kilometers North East on the Adriatic.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United States to Pietrelcina

I meant that rental cars are not allowed in certain areas of some larger towns and cities and many tourists do not notice the "ZTL" signs and then are sent tickets which can come to you up to 18 months after you have been there! Don't let that deter you from driving because if you are visiting smaller towns you have the opportunity of seeing lovely scenery and the ability to move about when you want and where you want.

Sorry for the slip of my fingers. San Giovanno Rotondo is about 170 Kilometers to the North East.

usa
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: United States to Pietrelcina

Thanks for the replies, I'm beginning to feel a little more comfortable about driving ourselves rather then going the tour route!!!!!!!!!!

Linda

South Orange, New...
Destination Expert
for Campania
Level Contributor
575 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: United States to Pietrelcina

ok... a couple of things...firstly YES. Our vacation home is about an hour and a half from Pietrelcina and I can say that a car is a GOOD idea for visiting those area!! There used to be someone who advertised a vacation home rental there on vrbo...I don't know them personally, but maybe check there for a base to stay (not sure if they are still renting it out but it looked nice and the price was very reasonable as well.) Not all towns are well-served by public transport and driving is fairly easy. Anyway...most people down that way drive to get places and it's not at all crazy (just stay bout of Naples!) and the roads are very good and well-marked...I really don't think you'll have problems. (just make sure you also have an English-Italian dictionary with you if you don't speak Italian so you can ask directions...just in case!)

Flights...I have a list here: southernitaly.wordpress.com/getting-there/ with the flights into the area (on top...don't scroll down as those are directions to get to the Avellino area from there.) We usually fly into Rome...a few different reasons really...

1 - it's usually cheaper

2 - I can fly nonstop. I hate connecting and would rather just wake up in Italy!

3 - it takes me the same amount of time. When you factor in the plane-change to get into Naples, it takes the same time as if I were to just get in a car in Rome and drive down - sometimes, it is actually faster!

4 - I only drive automatic...and they are easier to get at the Rome airport

Have fun planning the trip!!

South Orange, New...
Destination Expert
for Campania
Level Contributor
575 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: United States to Pietrelcina

p.s. you should not have problems with "ZTL" areas - there may be some (so look for signs) but there is almost always plentiful free parking and few of these zones (sometimes, temp. ones set up though on Sunday evenings around 7pm for La Passeggiata - they will put up a barrier though and have someone standing there usually to point you in the right direction or show you where it's ok to park.) The only thing really is that, in towns (just as here in the US) the parking may only be for 1 hour or 3 hours or whatever - it will be marked. Some rental cars will already have a little clock below the rear-view mirror and you just turn the dial to show the time you arrive in the parking spot - if your car doesn't have one, that's ok too - just write down the time on a piece of paper and make sure it is visible on the dashboard.

Get answers to your questions about Pietrelcina