We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning a day in the Burren

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
planning a day in the Burren

We have one day to go from Doolin to Galway. I've read guidebooks and studied maps, but I'm still not feeling very organized about putting together our day.

I think we'd like to visit the Burren Centre, Leamanagh Castle, Cahercommaun, Caherconnell, Poulnabrone, Corcomroe Abbey. Am I missing something? Are any of these repetitive of others so I should skip something? If I'm trying to cram too much in, I have no problem trimming my list.

Thoughts about the Burren Smokehouse?

A guided walk would be nice. It looks like Tony Kirby doesn't do that on Mondays, which is when we'll be there. Is Shane Connell's "mixed" walk a good option?

Many thanks.

3 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning a day in the Burren

Shane Connell is excellent. The Burren Smokehouse is fine if you fancy smoked Salmon bit expensive otherwise.

www.dochara.com/tour/itineraries/burren-tour/

tripadvisor.ie/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren_Hi…

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
680 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: planning a day in the Burren

Shane Connolly or burrenguidedwalks.com with Mary Howard...both are great guides.Leamenagh Castle is a tower house and not open to the public but you can photograph it from the road..all of 3 minutes.Next to the Burren Centre is the old cathedral housing some good examples of High Crosses...free admission.Doolin Cave is also worth a visit to see the spectacular stalactite{good option if it is raining} or Ailwee Caves and Birds of Prey Centre.Burren perfumery is a little bit of a detour into the Burren National Park and you would need a few hours to explore this area

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planning a day in the Burren

Thank you both so much--just the kind of information I needed.

Reply to: planning a day in the Burren
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Burren National Park