We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with my itinerary

Frisco City, Alabama
2 posts
Save Topic
Need help with my itinerary

Hi everyone. My family and I are going to Ireland in a month. I have some questions before I finalize my plans. Here we go...

1-I was originally going to spend one night in Galway but after researching the Burren area I'm unsure. We are planning to come from Killarney then travel to Cliffs of Moher. I know that the travel time is roughly 3-4 hours depending on whether we take the ferry. But, google map is giving me a 2.30 min. Drive w/o the ferry. Is this correct?

2-I would like to drive from Killarney to the Cliffs, then Dysert O'Dea, Burren Perfumery, Poulnabrone Dolmen then Caherconnell Stone Fort. After the fort, drive to Galway or should I stay in the Burren area?

3-Is Connemara worth the extra day to stay in the Galway area or should I just add to another day in Dublin? I am booked for 2 nights stay in Dublin.

4-we'll be in Dublin for St. Patrick's Day and I was hoping someone can give any advice as to which celebrations are the best and which ones to stay away from.

5-lastly, my husband loves music and I would love to show him some great low key pubs that the locals hang out and jam.(in Dublin)

Thank you so much for reading this long post.

Father Ted's House
Other Ranches & Farms
Oughtmama (Ucht Mama)
Historic Sites, Valleys, Ancient Ruins, Sacred & Religious Sites
3 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with my itinerary

Question 3 is one only you can answer. Is Connemara more 'worth it' than a day in Dublin?

They are so totally totally different. do you prefer wild Atlantic seascapes with mountains or a large bustling city?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,907 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with my itinerary

Google maps like all software works on the information it is given.. distance and speed restrictions over that distance.. You (I as a fast driving Local) will not be doing some of the speed allowed on west Clare roads. no account is taken for Junctions, other slow moving traffic (get stuck behind a hire a car for instance with no passing place for a couple of miles!).

Given what you want to see on the Burren then I would be aiming for Ballyvaughan/Fanore possibly Kinvara rather than Galway..

Given your itinerary is still..

Day 1 - Go to Kilkenny from Dublin. Stay the night.

Day 2 -Visit Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle then drive to Kenmare for the 2 nights.

Day 3- Kenmare

Day 4-5 = Killarney

Day 6-County Clare (Cliffs of Moher and sight see, stay the night)

Day 7-Galway (stay the night)

Day 8-Head back to Dublin

You can get a short loop round the lower Connemara between there and the night in Glaway..

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,684 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with my itinerary

We enjoyed our overnight stay in Kinvara at the Clareview Guesthouse very much. You might even want to book the medieval dinner at Dunguarie Castle--good food and entertainment (based on Irish literature).

Also, while I have not been there, some Irish musicians we met in Dublin recommended the Cobblestone Pub for traditional music. I have also seen it mentioned here on TA.

Reply to: Need help with my itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Burren National Park