We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen Charlotte Track

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Queen Charlotte Track

For novice trampers can a group of 6 easily navigate the trail without a guide? We are seeking 3 recommended overnight lodges or inns that offer all the pluses like comfy beds and great cuisine. Can anyone offer suggestions - I'm finding the websites somewhat confusing. We are planning on early November and hope generally speaking weather is favourable. Thanks

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queen Charlotte Track

This website has everything you would need to know http://www.qctrack.co.nz/

I love the queen charlotte track, although I wouldnt call it easy. You definitely DO NOT need a guide. It is well marked track. The boat lines will even pick up your packs and drop them off at your destination each day, its a great service for small fee. There are numerous accommodation options from camping to five start luxury.

Definitely recommend starting at ship cove. Depends on what time you start as to how far you walk on the first day. It is a short sharp climb out of ship cove. If you start in the afternoon resolution bay has rustic cabins in a lovely bay with free kayak use. But to cover more ground I would suggest you start earlier and go to furneaux lodge.

Then punga cove is a nice walk. However, I find Punga cove to Te Mania or Portage the least interesting section. Some would disagree as it does have stunning views of bay, but it is a lot of exposed area. My other favourite places to stay are Lochmara Lodge in lochmara Bay - and its a nice walk out to Anikawa from there. Mistletoe is also nice and closer to Anikawa

3 nights for novices is pushing it on the track. And the beauty of this area is to take time and enjoy the kayaks, swimming, scenery etc. You could consider a boat ride from Punga to Lochmara or even mistletoe and walk the last section.

Have a lot at the website given to give you an idea of distances etc. I am happy to provide any more specific info.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 06:29
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queen Charlotte Track

Thanks so much for your informative post and any specific recommendations on accommodation would be most helpful. Mixed reviews on Lochmara but seems to be the best choice. Thanks again

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queen Charlotte Track

Another query - if anyone can recommend a lovely chilled out place to relax at the end of the walk to hang our hat for a few days and explore the region we would be grateful.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,569 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queen Charlotte Track

I agree that 3 nights is pushing it. I wouldn't call much of the cuisine offered "great". We self- catered at Resolution & Endeavour and enjoyed the " bar cuisine" at Punga Cove. Furneaux might be better.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queen Charlotte Track

If staying at Lochmara i highly recommend booking the bath house. Just bliss. I regularly (2 or 3 times a year) walk into lochmara. It gets pretty busy in the weekends, but during the week it is bliss. Last time I was there was about a couple months ago. Seals, dolphins, penguins in the bay. kayaking in total calm. lying in the hammocks. I agree with zhuhai that none of the cuisine is amazing. But still some good offerings to be had.

Now if you want an amazing place to relax with incredible food that would be "on the track lodge" in Nydia bay. you can boat from Havelock, or walk. Stay in the train carriage and norma cooks the most amazing food, in a wonderful setting with awesome people.

Although "on the track lodge" is not a base for exploring region. You may prefer Blenheim to explore wineries.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queen Charlotte Track

if wanting 'the best' - http://bayofmanycoves.co.nz/

7. Re: Queen Charlotte Track

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 13:15