We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone Been Done By the Peninsula Hotel Scam??

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone Been Done By the Peninsula Hotel Scam??

Just wondering if anyone has had the joy of a free meal in the terrible bar/restaurant in the Peninsula Hotel in Bali? We got scammed into having a look though we knew straight off the bat that you do not get "lunch for free". We were also told we had won one of four prizes which all sounded great except for the discount vouchers...my husband and I had a bet that everyone has the discount vouchers.

I know it is hard to get jobs as a local but I am surprised that so many are running this scam without fear of karma catching up with them for scamming so many people?!?!

Beware everyone!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone Been Done By the Peninsula Hotel Scam??

They are doing it because they need a job.

I am no fan of time share or the methods but It is not a scam and they are not about to get bad 'karma'. The practice of selling time share is annoying but not illegal.

You did not have to attend their talks and did so in the hope of something free so there is no point making attacks now because you didn't get the goodies you expected.

If you knew straight off the bat that there is no such thing a s a free lunch, why did you go?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone Been Done By the Peninsula Hotel Scam??

Sounds like Phuket, forwarned is forarmed.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone Been Done By the Peninsula Hotel Scam??

I am a member at Peninsual Beach Resort and have been for ten years. Over the years on many visits I have spoken to many people who have been scammed like you have, some did not like what they were presented with and some (like us) did.

Some people paid up - and we now enjoy the most awesome holidays in a beautiful resort with great staff and other great members.

You knew it was not a free meal, nothing is for free.

To be honest if you get stopped in the street, you take an offered phamplet, you get into a cab and go to Tangjung Benoa and then sit thru the presentation, you do get your free transport - you do get your drink or meal,

You attended the offer after considering it - and I think it is in bad taste to whine about it now.

The sales people have families to support and they are only doing their job.

I know the owners of the resort well, and while I might not agree with some of their sales methods, I know what we bought has been an awesome investment for us, and I know many others who share our views.

Caveat Emptor - if you do not know what that means - look it up and then follow its advice.....

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,151 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone Been Done By the Peninsula Hotel Scam??

Thanks our001 for telling the Peninsular Beach Resort timeshare story from your perspective.

Newcastle Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone Been Done By the Peninsula Hotel Scam??

I agree with others it is no scam you go willingly. We went 2 years ago had never been out to Tanjung Benoa so went for the experience ended up just getting an offer at the time of 2weeks to take in two years had one week last year and loved it, going back nov this year for other week. We go a couple of times a year to Bali so this suited us.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone Been Done By the Peninsula Hotel Scam??

I am not whining about anything...I am actually mentioning this because when we were at the hotel we noticed several couples who obviously had no clue as to what they were getting into. So we made this post to make sure people are aware of what is going on. We overheard one of the couples talking and they were quite upset and offended by some of the management at the hotel. We heard them comment on how the management acted poorly towards staff and also at some of the jokes they heard made by managers of the hotel. So we put this post to help others avoid the scam as it will waste several hours of their holiday. Personally we did not worry as we did not have much on that day so we went for a look. But others there that day obviously had no clue what they got into and were very upset they wasted their day. So we felt bad for them. So it is fair to put this post to warn other travellers. The hotel units themselves were not too bad. But I have to say the lunch we were served was terrible. I hope there are other restaurants on the property that serve much, much, much better food for the sake of timeshare owners. I personally love having great food on my holidays...and if I paid that much to be in a timeshare I would be totally disapointed in that food. Happy Travels to All!

Edited: 14 April 2011, 14:02
Australia
Level Contributor
935 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone Been Done By the Peninsula Hotel Scam??

We went to look at it a few years back. "no pressure" we got told.

Ha!!!

As soon as we said we needed to think about it they were all hostile and couldnt wait to get rid of us

All we got was a tshirt which was too small LOL

Brisbane
Level Contributor
112 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone Been Done By the Peninsula Hotel Scam??

I want to get out of the time share deal I entered into 2 weeks ago with the Peninsula Bay resort. Has anyone actually not paid the full amount? I realise I will probably lose my deposit but I put that down to my naivety in signing in the 1st place.

The salesman definitely convinced me that I could exchange my week each year for free to visit a different resort. I have since found that it is not true and to exchange would cost me.

I don't want to only be locked into Bali.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone Been Done By the Peninsula Hotel Scam??

I went to the Peninsular a couple of years ago for the time share chat.

Was having problems with my mobile(telstra roaming) The guy there knew that I was on edge re my phone not working properly and took me out the back and spoke to one of the staff who phoned Telstra in Australia and I spoke to them for at least 30 mins or more and they sorted out the problem. I missed most of the promo(my wife sat through it) and I was not hasseled or asked to pay for my phone call .

Have been to one in Thailand as well and never had a problem.

Edited: 28 November 2011, 01:50
Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone Been Done By the Peninsula Hotel Scam??

We attended a presentation at the Peninsular many years ago and received a tee shirt each. They are still going strong and must be the best tee shirts to have come out of Bali!

We've sat through a few of these things as we take the 7 day accommodation deals. This means we can go upmarket for the remaining two weeks on what we have saved.

No one can make you sign anything.

Get answers to your questions about Tanjung Benoa