We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Island...is it as bad as the revues?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle Island...is it as bad as the revues?

We went to Turtle Island about 5 years ago, during our trip next month the kids want to visit Turtle Island i have just read the reviews not looking like it is worth the trip. Does anyone have any good memories or reviews of the place?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle Island...is it as bad as the revues?

I've heard that it has lifted it's act a bit since most tourists have caught on that there is a better alternative.

The Serangan Turtle Conservation and Educations Centre on Serangan Island is entry by donation and was set up by WWF. If you want to go to this facility just make sure your driver knows that it's this one you want to visit and not the other. You drive to this facility.

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle Island...is it as bad as the revues?

We were talking to an Australian family at our hotel last week. They thought they were going to the Turtle Sanctuary at Serangan Island (near Sanur), but inadvertently ended up at the place near Nusa Dua. They thought it was awful and cruel, so much so that it made them feel ill. They left hurriedly and hugely disappointed.

If I were you I'd take the kids to Serangan Island and avoid the Nusa Dua place at all costs. If you're planning on doing the dolphins as well, you can do them both in the same day (the Dolphin Lodge is on Serengan Island too). As Whinnie has said, you drive there - the island is connected to the mainland by a small bridge. It's not far from Sanur and very easy to find. Don't let a taxi or private driver take you to the wrong place (they get a commission for taking people to the awful turtle place, not the WWF one).

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua Peninsula, Indonesia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle Island...is it as bad as the revues?

I went to Turtle Island last year, I really liked it. The guides were very informative and very entertaining. My teenagers loved it, one guide in particular had a very warped sense of humour and my teenage son thought he was great. I guess each to their own but I will be going back :)

Hastings, Australia
Level Contributor
630 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle Island...is it as bad as the revues?

I went to Turtle "Island" in 2005 so my observations are obviously dated but I thought it was pretty tacky. Turtles locked up, telling us to sit on the larger turtle's backs for photos, little monkeys chained to posts, reptiles that didn't look very healthy and the "guides" were extremely sleazy and trying to hit on the females in our group. This was included in a watersports pack and wouldn't bother doing an of it again, far too touristy and tacky.

Children would not pick up on these observations and would love seeing the animals though.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,017 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle Island...is it as bad as the revues?

i have been to the turtles at Serangan and would suggest you try there rather than the turtle island facility.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
781 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle Island...is it as bad as the revues?

i went to turtle island a few weeks ago (jbr to follow)

i didn't really like it mainly due to the behaviour of a bunch of chinese tourists. the enclosures of the turtles are fairly small.also, there is a bunch of animals (monkeys, pythons, birds etc) kept in very small cages out the back which i really didn't like, so i went and sat down and had a cold drink until everyone else had finished.

i won't return.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle Island...is it as bad as the revues?

I went one year ago to Turtle Island and it's HORRIBLE. They are living in bath concrete tanks and we had the feeling the whole time it's a money scam. My gole in life is to get this place shut down. I wish i had gone to The Serangan Turtle Conservation and Educations Centre on Serangan Island(established by the WWF).

Do not support turtle island!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle Island...is it as bad as the revues?

I went in August. Glad I did only because I know not to go again. Never! Yuk yuk yuk

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
32 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turtle Island...is it as bad as the revues?

Worst place on the island, animal exploitation at its worst. AVOID AT ALL COSTS! Go to the Serangan TCEC, it's a properly run conservation centre, not a tourist trap. Had to resist the urge to free the turtles AND in the gift shop they sell crafts made from turtle shells...hmmmmmmm.... ABSOLUTELY NO CONSERVATION HERE.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turtle Island...is it as bad as the revues?

I have not been BUT everyone I have talked to who has- has been dissapointed.

That would be a reason not to go, particulary when there are alternatives