We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rupiahs - how much to bring?

Which Tanjung Benoa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rupiahs - how much to bring?

My wife and I will soon be visiting Bali for the first time and staying all inclusive at the Melia Benoa for two weeks.

Our local banks/travel agents etc do Indonesion Rupiahs as a currency exchange option and although it may cost me a little bit more for peace of mind after reading the ways you may be ripped off by money exchangers in Bali I would rather exchange the money before we leave here in the UK .

We will have credit cards and American Dollars with us as well.

So I was wondering how much Rupiahs those of you who have stayed All Inc. normally take to cover extra local costs where you can't pay in dollars. eg tipping porters, paying for taxis, eating out may be once or twice, having a massage, drinks/food on trips and at the airport plus departure tax.

If I say brought £100 which I think works out a 1.5 million rupiah - is that enough, too much or not enough?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rupiahs - how much to bring?

As a rule you get a better exchange rate in Bali. Does not matter which currency

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rupiahs - how much to bring?

Costs are - taxi locally 20 000 rupiah - taxi to kuta up to 150 000 rupiah a day trip with a driver 600 000 rp

dinner with drinks for two 600 000 dinner for two without drinks could be 300 000 rupiah - a watch the price fo the dishes dinner could be as low as 150 000 rp

spa treatments - 1 hr massage 70 000 pedicure 70 000 manicure 70 000 laundry a days worth of clothes 40 000

just watch the plus plus as that will add 21% to the price on the menu - 10 % service fee and 11 % govt tax - in the tourist hotels and restaurants

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rupiahs - how much to bring?

our001 - thanks for the reply re costs - as its approx 15000 to £1 in England then the prices look very low - £5 to £6 for a massage is cheap and a driver for the day at £40.

So my next questions to you Bali experts..... I have been quoted priced for trips by our travel agent and I have seen the prices advertised on the web for Bali tour companies.

Does anyone know what sort of prices the local tour people would charge for trips to say - Monkey Forest, Elephant riding, white water rafting, seawalking ? and is there anyone you would recommend ?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,676 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rupiahs - how much to bring?

Starting from where? Obviously costs will be different if less travel is involved.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rupiahs - how much to bring?

Melia Benoa Hotel

12 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Rupiahs - how much to bring?

Believe that no way is 100 pounds enough. I usually take thousands of Aussie dollars and its still ain't enough (that's for one week) but we go in style usually. ;-) Hope this helps.....

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Rupiahs - how much to bring?

A day trip from Benoa with a good driver - that would include Monkey Forest, Ubud maybe even as far as Kintimani - 600 000 for the day. The prices might be a bit higher now with the petrol price having gone up but much cheaper to organise when you get to Bali or use a driver suggested at the top of these pages.

5 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Rupiahs - how much to bring?

Hi Mark,better you change your money in Bali. Exchange rates will be higher. In jalan Pratama near by melia benoa,we have honest money changer called PT.Central Kuta,normally this money changer join with Western Union. If you go out from Melia Benoa turn right and its about 600 metres you will find it.

lancs uk
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Rupiahs - how much to bring?

We've stayed next door at the Bali Tropic on all inclusive both times we spent about 400 for 2 weeks that included hiring a driver for 2 days going on the elephants going the water park. Don't bother using the spa in the hotel there is a brilliant one just across the road next door to the supermarket a lot cheaper and the ladies are fantastic. We were never out of there even if it was for a foot massage after walking around all day it was only about 3 quid. We changed our money in the hotel they gave us a fantastic exchange rate also the atm at hardys is very safe to use. Bali is very safe the people are lovely and you will just fall in love with the island we're going back next yr and can't wait counting down already.

lancs uk
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Rupiahs - how much to bring?

Chat to your hotel staff they'll know someone who will drive you around we paid our barman 400,000 for the day. Take money with you ad you need to pay a entrance fee into the temple it was about 10,000 and 15,000 with sarong hire 2yrs ago. If you can go to the kecak fire dance at Ulawatu it's a lovely evening out fantastic show and beautiful sunset. Book the elephants when you are there they will send a driver for you we did the Taro one the first time and The Elephant Camp last time both just as good people have complained on here about the elephants being chained up but we were told they are only chained up during opening hrs due to safety cos they can charge and hurt people. Bali is a lovely island the scooters are a eye opener. If you need anymore info feel free to msg me

Get answers to your questions about Tanjung Benoa