We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the best....Allclusive or Bed/breakfast Room only

Magor, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Whats the best....Allclusive or Bed/breakfast Room only

Looking to go to Bali next year but wondering what is the best to do....how much is food and drink or is it better to go allinclusive so you dont have to worry...also is there a lot of westernised food. Any suggestions of any 4* plus hotels a couple travelling in their late 40's

Magor, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Whats the best....Allclusive or Bed/breakfast Room only

Thankyou to everyone for your input....it seems like a majority of you are saying to not go all/inclusive. A majority of our holidays are either Carribean we did do Sri Lanka and the Maldives last year and have done all/inclusive but i do agree with this type of holiday i want to get out and about to see other parts and probally dont want to be tied to the hotel. As i said previously we are off to Thailand now in 2weeks and doing bed/breakfast so we will see how we get on....but thank you to everyone that commented its also nice to get other ppls views.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
372 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Whats the best....Allclusive or Bed/breakfast Room only

I am considering Bali for the first time next April so can't comment on decisions to go all inclusive or not. However, coming from the UK like the OP, many 'typical destinations' tend to work out better costwise on AI for us Brits i.e. most of the Eurozone, Egypt, Mexico and the Caribbean. I see the OP is going to Koh Samui soon on B&B. This was one of the first destinations we went to where we didn't go all inclusive and were very relieved we didn't! Local restaurants and street vendors offered cheap and tasty food everywhere and we felt we had a much better experience than being tied to one hotel.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 19:45
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,400 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Whats the best....Allclusive or Bed/breakfast Room only

>>>However, coming from the UK like the OP, many 'typical destinations' tend to work out better costwise on AI for us Brits i.e. most of the Eurozone, Egypt, Mexico and the Caribbean<<<

Totally understand what you are saying, and it's also a sense of familiarity with many UK residents to have it 'all mapped out' in a tour package. Whereas the greater majority from somewhere like Australia, are very much DIY type of traveller. This is very much reflected in the volume of distribution sources available in the UK, offering All Inclusives.

Those destinations you've mentioned also, such as Mexico and the Caribbean, are heavily geared to cater for US and Canadian travellers, who also travel majority to those locations on 'packages'. These destinations aren't exactly known for dining outside of those resorts either.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Whats the best....Allclusive or Bed/breakfast Room only

I don't know about the Eurozone or the Carribean, but I have been to Egypt and Mexico and can guarantee you that you can eat far cheaper on the street and in markets and local restaurants than taking an all inclusive package. That is if, of course, you like to eat local like I do.

Bali is exactly the same. You can have a great cheap meal at a local Warung or some tourist restaurants, or you can choose to go to a fancier place (and there are some very good ones) and pay more.

I find a mix of both is the best, and you won't get that at an all inclusive. Trying out the different restaurants in Bali is one of the great things about visiting I think - so another huge vote for not going AI.

Enjoy your visit

Berwick, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Whats the best....Allclusive or Bed/breakfast Room only

Don't do all inclusive , there are so many yummy restaurants around

Oxford
Level Contributor
41 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Whats the best....Allclusive or Bed/breakfast Room only

I'm from the UK and have travelled extensively over Europe and the Far East. Generally don't book a package. But first time we did and did all inclusive in Bali ( been to Bali 4 times) we had the best holiday for ages! So relaxed, no problems or illnesses. In fact we are going again this year! Everything paid for before we go, leaving spending money to travel, eat out and shop. It's just the way to be! Kids can eat and do what they want without thinking about the cost

So for me I'm the opposite can highly recommend all inclusive!

Magor, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Whats the best....Allclusive or Bed/breakfast Room only

Hi Nicola thanks for your response.We have actually now come back from Thailand and had the most amazing holiday on a B&B My husband and i have travelled a lot but this was one of the 1st times we'd done B&B and to be honest the 1st couple of days i struggled becoz you were always having to go out and look for food and after travelling so far i found it tiring especially as we were abt 10mins away from Chaweng town and sometimes longer if we went further on into the town, but as the holiday went on i did get used to it (didnt bother my husband) and some nights we went straight from the pool abt 6ish straight to one of the beach restaurant which we thoroughly enjoyed .Butttt what we did miss was the convenience of once your holiday is paid for as you say you just go and food and drink (altho we don't drink much) is there on tap, if you dont feel like leaving the hotel. This is why we are still thinking of all inclusive because when you add it all up what your spending eating/drinking out it works out much more expensive from the UK. If we want to eat out on the occasional night we can...and we wasn't tied because we did lots of trips aswell....we may only miss lunch. This is why im still looking at possibly Sol Beach House or somewhere in that area.Buttt i may still change my mind lol do you mind me asking who you booked wth from the UK i dont normally book with a High st i always do it on-line and we are also looking to go to Singapore for 2-3days.

Yeppoon, Australia
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Whats the best....Allclusive or Bed/breakfast Room only

I stayed at the Sol Beach House in July on the All inclusive Gold package. It was truly fantastic. Laundry, mini bar, room service, food and beverages in all restaurants. Was a relief not to have to take out the wallet. They will even pack you a picnic lunch if you go out on day trips. We still did eat locally a few times but honestly the best idea we have had to go with their top package. We are going back in July next year to get married with 40 friends and family.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Whats the best....Allclusive or Bed/breakfast Room only

I love to get out and amongst it when I am away and consider myself an adventurous eater. But I must admit I am an advocate for breakfast 'on site'. I am just far too grumpy and muddled in the morning to be thinking about where to go for brekky.

So, we tend to have breakfast in our villa (made for us -lovely). Other than that - we hit the road for food.... there's always room for morning tea not too far after breakfast

20. Re: Whats the best....Allclusive or Bed/breakfast Room only

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2015, 05:16