We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kew lilacs

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Kew lilacs

I'll be visiting Kew on May 9. Will the famous lilacs be in bloom at that time?

6 replies to this topic
QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,426 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kew lilacs

I don't know about Kew, but botanical gardens in the US now often have current information on their websites on what is in bloom and/or expected to bloom soon. So you might want to check Kew's website.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kew lilacs

It's been an unusually wet and warm winter so normal bloom times may be different this year. I know windsor great park has blooms earlier this year than predicted.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,061 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kew lilacs

Don't know about Kew but the lilacs in our own gardens in London are just about to bloom now and in more sheltered spots than my area may well be already in bloom right now. Will they last till May 9. They may just be coming to an end . Hopefully you will just catch the last of them.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 09:17
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kew lilacs

Everything has been 3 weeks to a month early this year with us 15 miles from Kew

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kew lilacs

As my neighbour's lilacs are in bud now and I'm well north of Kew I think the best of the lilacs will have been before your visit, though as they have a wide range of most species there may well be some in flower. IIRC when I last visited there was a notice/blackboard at the entrance with names of the plants then in a "starring role". There will be plenty of interest!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kew lilacs

Here's a non answer. Have you heard of or been to Isabella Plantation in Richmond Park - not so far from Kew Gardens. In early May you should see azelias and rhodis in bloom and the trees just coming into leaf.

No lilac though.

Reply to: Kew lilacs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kew