We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Kew Gardens

Which Kew hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
London to Kew Gardens

Which is the most convenient station in London to get to Kew Gardens? I looked on the train journey planner but I selected Kings Cross as our lodgings are near there and the route suggested looks convoluted for a first time visitor to London.

8 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Kew Gardens

You take the Piccadilly Line from Kings Cross to Hammersmith and change there to the District Line. Get off at the Kew Gardens station. The gate is about a 10 minute walk. (We did this last year from the next station along the Piccadilly Line- Russell Square and found it quite straightforward.)

Did you change the time you want to travel on the London Transit journey planning function before making your request? Otherwise it assumes that you want to travel right now. Right now it's very early in the morning in London (GMT) time and you get the complicated night routing. When I changed the time of the proposed journey to 10:00 AM, it confirmed the much simpler daytime routing that I recalled taking last year.

It takes some time to get to Kew Gardens, but it was well worth it.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,899 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Kew Gardens

The change at Hammersmith is a cross platform change and will take just a few seconds. Ensure you board a District line train towards Richmond and *not* towards Ealing Broadway.

If you plan to visit Kew at the weekend there may be planned works on the Underground that could have an impact on the journey. Please let us know the date you will visit.

Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Kew Gardens

Thank you for your help. We will be in London from the 4th to the 6th of May and also plan to visit Greenwich.

Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Kew Gardens

thank you

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Kew Gardens

Oh, dear. Part of your stay will be during the period for which the tube will be on strike - from May 5th at 21:00 to May 8th at 21:00. Keep your eye on the London Transit site (tfl.gov.uk) for information as to whether this strike (the second of two strikes) will be going ahead - some of the frequent posters on the London forum suggest that it may not. If you are in London between May 4th and May 6th, suggest that you do your tube travelling on the first two days of your stay. As to your Greenwich trip, if you are within walking distance of Westminster Pier along the Embankment, a boat tour would be an option if there is no tube service.

Edit - Hopefully someone with more experience than I have will be along to provide advice about what to do during a tube strike.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 02:03
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,861 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Kew Gardens

Someone with more experience duly wanders along to provide advice about what to do during a tube strike:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c205260/Lon…

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,175 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Kew Gardens

I would get a bus or walk to Caledonian Rd and Barnsbury station London Overground (less than a mile away) and get on a Richmond train there.

This will be unaffected by the strike and the journey will cost less!

Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Kew Gardens

Thank you,I have learnt to use the buses. The hour long ride to Greenwich was a nice contrast to the 15 minute ride back by the light rail.As a tourist the bus ride, up top of the double decker was so interesting! I never realised how close buses get to each other! Yes we were in the front row too!

Reply to: London to Kew Gardens
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kew