We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hair and Make-up close to Palm Grove

NZ
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hair and Make-up close to Palm Grove

Kia Ora

This is my first time posting, so please be gentle with me :). My husband and I, and 12 guests are booking into Palm Grove for 7 nights to celebrate our 10 yr wedding anniversary with a vow renewal ceremony. We will be there from 28 Oct - 4 Nov 2012.

I've just got a couple of questions. Does anybody know where there is a beauty spa or hairdressers close to Palm Grove to get our hair and make up done (not too expensive)?

Secondly, my husband wants to purchase a handmade raro ukelele while we are there. Where is the best place to go?

Thank you for any help in advance :)

9 replies to this topic
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hair and Make-up close to Palm Grove

Can't help you with the hair and make up, but the ukelele's can be bought either at the Punanga Nui market OR the prison. Yes, that's right, the prison. The "guests" there make them. Both places have high quality insturments. Chuck...

NZ
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hair and Make-up close to Palm Grove

haha, thank you Chuck :) promise not to post any warm fuzzies, will ask serious questions only ;)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,953 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hair and Make-up close to Palm Grove

Kia Orana fashqueen, welcome to our forum.

I love hearing that you and your family will be celebrating a vow renewal ceremony! I'm more than happy to answer some of your queries.

Several choices for salons:-

Kia Orana Salon & Spa located in Arorangi - open Saturday mornings.

Pacific Village Salon in Muri is also open Saturday mornings.

Sheree from Kadona Salon in Avarua does outwork.

Ukele - check the ones at sale at the Saturday morning market. Visit the prison craft-shop located on the back road in Arorangi. There are several homes advertising hand-crafted ukes, ask at Palm Grove reception for their recommendations.

I'm sure that you will all have a wonderful island stay. You've chosen a delightful area and accommodation for your event.

Kia Manuia

Frangipani.

Edited: 20 January 2012, 00:24
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hair and Make-up close to Palm Grove

You are welcome, fash. And post as many warmfuzzies as you need to. I'm trying(hard?)to be kinder and gentler. Take care and enjoy your visit. Chuck...

NZ
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hair and Make-up close to Palm Grove

Thank you Frangipani :)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hair and Make-up close to Palm Grove

Hi Fashqueen,

I hope you have a wonderful visit to Rarotonga. We just got back from having our wedding there. Can't help you with the hairdresser sorry as my bridesmaid was a hairdresser (handy)

I just wanted to give a word of advice on Kia Orana Salon.

I try to steer away from negative comments but I just had to say a word of warning. We had a lady, Jocelyn, from Kia Orana Salon come to our house for makeup. and she was absolutely shocking, do not book through this place. She doesn't understand English very well (She's malaysian maybe, not Rarotongan) so it's very hard to communicate, and even when she did understand she didn't listen anyway. She didn't talk much, or smile.

Our makeup was amusingly terrible, it looked like a 5yr old had put it on, and we all had to go fix it afterwards.

She had very limited selection, she did not apply mascara on anyone, and thought that purple eyeshadow up to our eyebrows looked good.

My daughter is african amerian and she put the same pale foundation on her, that she used for the other girls, making her look like a Geisha girl. I couldn't believe she thought this looked ok, we just had to laugh in the end because it was that ridiculous.

I'm sure there are much better places on the island who will come to your accommodation. Sorry I can't suggest a better one, but just keep asking around, I'm sure you'll find someone great (it can't get any worse, haha)

Palm Grove is lovely, and great beach, enjoy :)

Auckland, Auckland...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hair and Make-up close to Palm Grove

Hi

I was married at the beachfront house at Palm Grove last year (was a private rental at that stage) and used the guy from the Edgewater Resort, I did have to drive there but he was really good. He really knew what he was doing taking into account the hot humid weather and my hair and makeup still looked good at midnight after a 2pm wedding. My wedding planner was from the Edgewater so she sorted it for me as we were married 11/11/11 and it was an extremely busy day on the island for wedding and alot of things were already booked up

When researching before I got married I did hear good things about Nane Brown, I think she may come to you. nane@hairworksrarotonga.com

Good luck with your wedding, we had an absolute ball and wouldn't have had it any other way.

As above the beach there is really lovely and not too public.

Albany, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hair and Make-up close to Palm Grove

That's O.K. Chuck, we still luv ya!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hair and Make-up close to Palm Grove

There is also VIP Hair Studio who have a mobile service (NZ qualified) you can contact them at Eli.DyerVIPHair@hotmail.com .

The closest to you would be Salon VIVO at the Rarotongan.

I agree with MyahUSA about Kia Orana Salon, have heard lots of negative comments.

Cheers!

Reply to: Hair and Make-up close to Palm Grove
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vaimaanga
More Vaimaanga Topics