We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vehicles we will be using to visit the Baviaanskloof

Kempton Park, South...
1 post
Save Topic
Vehicles we will be using to visit the Baviaanskloof

My wife and i will be using our Kia Sportage 4x4 with low range and our friends have a Chery Tiigo suv. We will be in the reserve the weekend of the 25th May. I believe we can only do the reserve section with a 4x4. Is this correct. We will come prepared to tow the Chery if necessary. We are spending another week in the Knysna area and feel we will just be more comfortable in our own vehicles. If a 4x4 is really necessary then we will have to just use the Kia. Yours truly, Chelton Hamer.

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vehicles we will be using to visit the Baviaanskloof

The R332 through Baviaanskloof is a narrow winding gravel surfaced road with some quite steep sections. The road is about 200 kms in length and takes about 6 to 8 hours to traverse. There are no shops or refueling points in the reserve and so you need to make sure that you are fully fueled and stocked up on necessities before you enter.

The section between the two reserve gates (Zandvlakte in the west and Bergplaas in the east) can only be accessed in 4x2 vehicles with diff lock, soft 4x4 SUV's and 4x4 vehicles with high ground clearance.

Before attempting to drive through the reserve after heavy rains you should check that the roads are passable and not flooded. The water levels in the Grootrivier can rise alarmingly after heavy rains and crossings become very dangerous.

Enjoy. It's an experience and a half.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vehicles we will be using to visit the Baviaanskloof

The road is really only quite rough between Rooihoek and Cambria, with the worst sections being the roads up and down from Bergplaas. Which side are you entering from? Presumably from Nuwekloof. You can drive into the Kloof with both vehicles and spend a night somewhere before Rooihoek, and when you want to go up to Berg Plaas, you only take the one vehicle.

Road conditions change with the weather. We have had quite a bit of rain in PE in the last 2 weeks and that could have worsened the roads.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vehicles we will be using to visit the Baviaanskloof

A good place to ask that question is at http://4x4community.co.za/forum/index.php.

We went through there 2 years ago and it was disgusting to what extent the road had been allowed to detoriate with water erosion gulleys/ruts. Never needed 4x4 (although we had it) but we scraped the bottom of our truck in a few places, and had some water leaks in the deep river crossings. I did read this weekend that road repairs are now in progress, but I can't locate the place where I read it.

Another useful place to phone about the road is the Police station at Studtis.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vehicles we will be using to visit the Baviaanskloof

See the recent posts in this thread: 4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php…

Reply to: Vehicles we will be using to visit the Baviaanskloof
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Baviaanskloof Nature...