We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Topic
Where to go?

Could anyone recomend a fabulous place in the Caribbean that I can meet my soon who will get to weeks leave from Kuwait in Feb 2008. He will of served in Kuwait for a year and the

wants to me our family somewhere to relax and snorkel and enjoy. I have been to the Dominican and he is thinking Cancun? Any suggestions on what is most popular for a 22 year old would be helpful..... Thanks so much

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go?

I'm not all that familiar with either destination since I have not visited Cancun in almost 10 years and only have been to LaRomana area of the DR once four or five years ago, but my sense would be that Cancun is going to be more appealing for your son assuming he is at all interested in nightlife and meeting other people his own age.

Maybe someone who has been to Punta Cana can give you better information about that area, but my experience in the LaRomana area was that it mostly consisted of all-inclusive resorts that attracted a mix of families, couples, and some singles, but there is a lot less to do outside the resort than in Cancun.

In terms of snorkeling, I don't think either the DR or Cancun is considered great for snorkeling, but I think you could take an excursion from Cancun to some areas with better snorkeling.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go?

Thanks for the info, I guess that is true, night life would be better in Cancun. How was Turks and Caicos? Did I see from your forum you werethere already? If so, would you recomend there for us, or still again Cancun maybe for snorkeling and night life for him?

thanks so much

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go?

Yes, I've been to Turks & Caicos and I loved it, so it is hard to give you an objective answer. The combination of beach, water, and snorkeling there are way better than Cancun or the DR, but it is a much quieter place with very limited nightlife beyond going out to dinner. There are some bars that have bands on selected nights, and there is an adults only Club Med (they sell day or night passes to non-guests).

Other issues to consider are your preference for all-inclusive (AI) v non-AI and your budget. In general, Turks & Caicos is likely to be quite a bit more expensive and offers very little in the way of AI resorts (just Club Med and Beaches). Cancun offers lots of choices, both AI and non-AI, at all price points. The DR is mostly AI resorts, and package trips to the DR and Cancun are pretty prevalent (my friends from Buffalo, NY and I got a really great deal to the DR on Airtransat from Toronto when we went).

Another place that I have been that might be a good compromise (in terms of offering something for everyone) is Barbados. It is one of the more developed and diverse islands in the Caribbean (wide range of accommodation and dining options, nice beaches, distinctive culture, shopping, and nightlife particularly in St. Lawrence Gap).

4. Re: Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 02:16