We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for perfect vacation ?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
494 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions for perfect vacation ?

We are planning a 25th wedding anniversary vacation for January 2011..want something really special with scuba dving..

can anyone suggest the perfect island and perfect hotel ?

no limit on cost as its going to be the trip of a life time !

thanks

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for perfect vacation ?

First, this generic Caribbean forum is lightly followed and posts get buried quickly, so you are not likely to get many responses here. You'd be better served by identifying a couple (2-3) of potential destination island and then posting to those forums for detailed information.

Most of the year I'd suggest Providenciales, Turks & Caicos as it meets your requirements very well, but it is a bit more affected by winter weather and water will be a bit cool in Jan. Would need (lightweight) wetsuits there.

Curacao and Bonaire would be warm and both have great diving. Bonaire diving is better, but Curacao probably has better high-end resorts and nicer beaches. Anguilla is a beautiful island with lovely beaches and very nice resorts, but the diving is not quite as good, if that is important.

Good luck

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for perfect vacation ?

Many of the better regarded diving destinations (Bon Aire, Roatan, Belize, Curacao) do not have true high-end hotels or resorts since many of the typical tourists are into, well diving and not much else (yes, a broad generalization). Anguilla and Providenciales Turks and Caicos are definitely a good recommendations. Anguilla more for beach food and luxury accommodations and Provo for better diving. I understand Parrot Cay, just off Provo is a truly special place. Another similar option to Provo is Grand Cayman.

Grand Cayman is a little different since its tourism is geared to divers, beach-goers and cruise ship visitors. For a splurge I would suggest the Ritz Carlton on Grand Cayman, as it was just voted the best resort in the Caribbean by Conde Nast readers. Highly regarded diving on the island and outstanding service at the hotel.

If you are looking for a more secluded get-away, the Grenadines is a great option. Palm Island or Petite St. Vincent Resort are two special places with diving available from Glenroy Adams on neighboring Union Island.

www.grenadinesdive.com/ResortPackages.html

We spent one anniversary at PSVR and visited Palm Island. I would recommend either for such a momentous milestone as a 25th anniversary.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for perfect vacation ?

As mentioned The Ritz at Grand Cayman is a luxury resort and the diving in GC is very good.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
494 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for perfect vacation ?

Thanks guys for all the info...will look into it in more detail now that I have an idea where to start !

We normally take vacations in either Boston or France or Malta (for diving) so this will be a new one for us. But i think that being 25 years married and only 49 yrs old we should celebrate like mad ! Our daughters who are 22 and 19 totally agree that Mom and Dad should go away !

So thanks again !

5. Re: suggestions for perfect vacation ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2010, 06:17