We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alright opinions please !!

Yorkton, Canada
Level Contributor
802 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Alright opinions please !!

hubby & l have been to the Dominican ,mexico,Cuba and South America..looking for a new place thinking one of the possibilities is Jamaica,do any of you have any other places that you love in the carribean there are tons of islands but im seeing very expensive,we do some snorkeling,love a nice beach!!!shopping bars etc real close to resort as we get bored after a few hrs of laying on the beach and love to look around!!Hoping to find something for next winter for 2 wks thats in the $2200.00 range per person can fly out of Toronto as we have air miles we are in saskatchewan so not alot of different places offered as population is too small...any suggestions wanting a 4* resort with good food ..thanx in advance!!!& happy travels!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alright opinions please !!

Dont panic if you dont get big responses here - as others have pointed out to me in the past - if you post your question in Caribben forum lots of people don't see it as it gets lost in the volume of questions adn threads in specific forums.

For your interests however, without big emphasis on snorkeling I always strongly recommend Grenada and / or St.Kitts. They are beautiful islands taht in my experience are very safe as in drive around on your own walk about island as you would at home...they have great authentic Caribbean culture as in they are not over run by the "North American" experience....great food, good to sensational beaches, hiking, waterfalls, ziplining, and a wide selection of hotels to choose from.....the only problem is St.kitts is not currently offered in a package from Toronto so you would be wise to check with expedia for creative routes....it is worth the trip.

I do also love Jamaica....it is beautiful and I love the people I have known and met who are Jamaican. It is a bit different though as it is a hugely visited island....they are every type of resort hotel you could ever want and for every price. Often people feel they are in danger the moment they set foot off their resort so brace yourself for that mentality from many people...it is not the experience i have had or of any of the many people I know who have visited the island...but it is factor when you do your research - you have to make a choice that is best for you and your fellow travellers but there are many who have enjoyed Jamaica in ful safety so I hope you can take the alternate "view" with a grain of salt.

Check out these islands...but if Snorkeling is your thing you may be wise to look at islands that are not volcanic as they often have th best snorkeling ie: Grand Cayman, Anguilla etc.... I did enjoy snorkeling in St.Kitts and I have seen excellent pics of snorkeling expeditions in Jamaica and my family had a ball on a planned snorkeling outing in Grenada...

All my thoughts!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alright opinions please !!

We love Jamaica. Going back for the 5th time in 6 days for 2 weeks!! Negril is the area with the best beaches IMO.

Another favorite is St. Lucia. Perfectly safe to explore on your own.

Have you been to San Andres Island in Colombia South America? BEAUTIFUL!!!! Best snorkeling we have ever found anywhere.......

Yorkton, Canada
Level Contributor
802 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alright opinions please !!

thanx for your responces and yes went to SanAndres 13 yrs ago ...if we dont find a reasonable priced place we may go back loved it there had a bad experience but we dont judge an island by a few idiots the people there were awesome!!!and so was the beaches!!just hoping for something new!!

4. Re: Alright opinions please !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 07:17