We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Caribbian destination for a female solo traveller?

Helsinki
Level Contributor
8 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Safe Caribbian destination for a female solo traveller?

I need recommendations on where to go!

I'm thinking about going to an island in the Caribbean for two weeks after Christmas. I'm a blond, European woman in my 30s, travelling alone.

I've been to the Dominican Republic once, and now want to explore another island in Caribbean. I have travelled alone in NYC & in Thailand, so it's not my first solo trip.

I am looking to spend days on the beach reading & swimming (preferably on a long one, as I also enjoy taking long walks), do some snorkeling, live in an area where you can safely walk to restaurants at night ( I don't want to rent a car), go on a couple of day trips on the sea or in the nature. I do not dive and I'm not looking to party, just perhaps go for drink now and then after dinner to meet interesting people.

I have been reading about Providenciales in Turks & Caicos, the Bahamas & the US Virgin islands. Does anyone have experience travelling solo in these areas? Do you feel safe?

As I am travelling from Europe, I am looking for an island that has an airport - I am not interested in taking a boat after flying for 24hrs. :-)

Any tips for me?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Caribbian destination for a female solo traveller?

I do feel like a broken record sometimes but really Grenada is it for you - but more specifically - Grand Anse beach...There are maybe ten (8?) hotels on this two mile stretch of white sand with stunning views - I know several women who have happily travelled to Grenada solo - one if fact I only know of from here...Pigsterz...I am sure if you post in specifically the Grenada forum she will respond. She is a wealth of knowledge and I have read one of her travel reports of a solo trip to Gnd.

In my experience it is the SAFEST island...and there are stats and others first hand experiences to back this up....If you are staying on Grand Anse you can do the beautiful beach walk - you can visit many many of the great little (or in the case of the Owl Pub - more bustly) beach bars on Grand Anse - plus there is plenty of easy access restaurants within walking distance of this beach.

I am personally partial to the Flamboyant because if I had to choice an alone resort this would be it for breathtaking views and personable staff who will not overstep their boundaries and get all into your business but they will know your name and give you friendly hellos when they see you about and chats...if you want more interaction I am sure you could spend much more time chatting them up - but it was a real feeling of belonging there....as though someone kind of knew you were there....

Ok - it is a lot but if you are interested....hopefully you can post in that forum and get the details you are looking for.

atlanta
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Caribbian destination for a female solo traveller?

I am a solo female traveler (afro-american) and last year I went to Jamaicia (Montego Bay) and I stayed at the iberostar Grand (Rose Hall) and it was great. If you stay at the grand, it is adults only. Down side, restuarnats and shops were not plentiful and near by. I took a few days trips but mostly stayed on the resort.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
8 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Caribbian destination for a female solo traveller?

thank you for your suggestions - I'll have to do some reading before I make up my mind :-)

manchester england
Level Contributor
356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Caribbian destination for a female solo traveller?

I Think barbados would suit you as a lot of solo female travellers go there as i would say it is one of the safest places in the caribbean, it is easy to travel around, the locals are friendly and there are plenty places to stay for solo travellers without going all inclusive.

pm if you need any more info

jac

Texas
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Caribbian destination for a female solo traveller?

Also consider Grand Cayman.

6. Re: Safe Caribbian destination for a female solo traveller?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2010, 05:16