We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling alone. need a break, its been 2 years!

NYC
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
traveling alone. need a break, its been 2 years!

would love to find a safe place to go in the carribean and sit on a beach and read and have early dinners and get up and do it all over again for 4 days. a place that is not overpopulated or couples only, but also not too dead. somewhere that does not require a car to be rented, sort of a small safe town where if I wanted a bar one night it would be easy and non intimidating to explore if i am tired of reading.

i guess the sort of place where you have some option of being social or alone.

under $150/night

any suggestions?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling alone. need a break, its been 2 years!

Grenada - No question no doubt for me- if i was travelling alone in the Caribbean it would be Grenada as it is where I personally felt the safest and felt that I could do the most with the least sense of unease....the hotel staff where we stayed were fantastic and seemed to envelope you in the community sense - the Flamboyant. I felt the had a sense for your well being overall and you would not go unnoticed should something untoward happen but I would be suprised if it did.

If you post in a couple of interesting islands forums you will likely generate more responses but please try Grenadas too as there are some people who HAVE travelled to Grenada alone and they can share their experiences first hand!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling alone. need a break, its been 2 years!

I'll second Grenada! Lovely people and pretty safe for a solo traveler. I was solo first trip there and enjoyed a private island tour, walks on the beach, lots of reading, the open air market. Fresh seafood and yummy homemade nutmeg ice cream! If traveling in the Winter months, smaller Bequia more than meets you criteria! It is walkable with lots of options of very good small restaurants. low key live music and the most chillaxing environment I've found in many years of island travel! Off Season (aug-oct) Bequia may be too quiet for you. Rodney Bay in St Lucia might also work well for you.

3. Re: traveling alone. need a break, its been 2 years!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 07:25