We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Caribbean destination.

Hoboken, NJ
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recommendations for Caribbean destination.

Hello all,

My girlfriend and myself would like to go to a Caribbean island for 4-7 days. We have never been so it would be helpful to get opinions on what would be the best place for our interests. We are interested in the following :

Beach house or bungalow on the beach, probably not interested in a resort unless resort has relatively isolated accommodations

No interest in hanging out by the pool etcetera

Interested in hanging on the beach some of the time, sea kayaking, small uncrowded laid back beach bars

Great food

Culture

Hiking and scenery

Shopping for her and maybe a round of golf for me

Relatively quiet...in between isolation and a party scene

Essentially very relaxing with some activities and chilled nighlife

2 destinations that look very interesting are St Martin/St Maarten and Dominica.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or thoughts!

Thank you

Paul

Lunenburg, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for Caribbean destination.

I would totally recommend Dominica over St Martin ,..

the food in Dominica is great and the people are very friendly.

there isn't much night life, but if you are looking for adventure and hiking then thats the place for you..

you may choose a hotel close to the beach if you want to relax on the beach, and if you want to go hiking then i highly recommend you book Nature Isle Explorers.. www.exploredca.com

so if i was in your position, i would chose Dominica

Edited: 21 October 2010, 18:28
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for Caribbean destination.

Try Willemstad, Curacao. UNESCO world heritage spot.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for Caribbean destination.

From your description I'd look at St. Lucia, St. John in the USVI, Antigua (be sure to do a side trip to Barbuda!!!); and I'm really partial to Anguilla. Not much hiking reallly but amazing white sand beaches and fabulous restaurants at every price point plus really gracious and warm locals.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for Caribbean destination.

I will recommend Grenada and St.Kitts as in between the two options. I have not been to Dominica but hope to one day. I do believe they are not a huge beach island...St.Martin has some of what you describe but errr...I guess I would strongly suggest you explore St. Kitts or Grenada in your research. They are unique beautiful islands with so much to offer!

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for Caribbean destination.

I would recommend St. John. It doesn't have golf, but it has almost everything else you seek.

I also recommend Costa Rica, although not a Caribbean island. Check out Hotel Capitan Suizo (laid back and not resort-y) or Sueno del Mar (very chill B&B) in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. There is nearby golf and shopping and everything else you seek.

Another option would be Roatan, Honduras.

6. Re: Recommendations for Caribbean destination.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2011, 05:15