We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help picking an island and place to stay

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
552 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help picking an island and place to stay

OK, the last three years we have gone to (telling you this so you might be able to help suggest something that meets our wants)...

Compass Point, Bahamas (great choice except rear cabanas backed to somewhat busy road)

The Cove , Eleuthera (like the resort and loved the private beach...island was a little too quiet)

Ti-Kaye, St Lucia (awesome...if we went back to St Lucia this would be the place to stay)

We didn't care for Nassau...too crowded, cruise ships all day (yech), and way too touristy. Eleuthera was OK but perhaps a little too quiet (Elvina's was cool). St Lucia has been the best compromise of all...especially since we stayed away from Rodney Bay and farther North where the ships come in.

We liked all three resorts. All were less than 30 rooms, all had at least a small beach on the premises, all were away from hustle and bustle, all had an onsite restaurant and two out of the three did have a restaurant within walking distance of the resort (but not malls or chains).

So what are we looking for...

---a small resort (hate the mega all-inclusives)

---loved having a private cabana/bungalow with view of ocean

---a beach on premise with the ability to at least snorkel from

---not in a touristy destination with cruise ships docked all day or shopping malls, movie theaters, and MacDonalds

---not stuffy, stayed four nights at Jalousie last year. Location and views were unbeatable but resort was stuffy. We like a little more casual atmosphere.

Am I being unreasonable? Any suggestions?

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help picking an island and place to stay

Tulum (Mexico) almost fits the bill perfectly. Only caveat is that there is really no snorkeling off of the beach (you can snorkel in Cenotes or drive up the road a bit). Take a look at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, Ana y Jose, Suenos, and La Zebra. The beach is gorgeous. It is not overly touristy, and most resorts consist of individual small bungalows. It is definitely not stuffy.

Also, take a look at Caneel Bay on St. John. The resort sits on almost 200 acres and has 7 white sand beaches, yet it is private and uncrowded. Take a look at the rooms on Scott Beach, Turtle Beach and Hawksnest beach for amazing snorkeling and natural beauty. You will not find any cruise ships or jet skis near Caneel :) While you won't have your own bungalow, the resort consists of small, individual low rise buildings scattered throughout the grounds. I would also take a look at Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda (Caneel's sister property).

There are also many resorts in Costa Rica that fit your description (except for the snorkeling off the beach). Take a look at Hotel Capitan Suizo in Tamarindo - I think it would be perfect for you.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
552 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help picking an island and place to stay

Bump...

I had thought about Montserrat but they don't seem to have any resorts to stay at and sounded perhaps too quiet. I looked at Antigua but someone told me it is cruise ship crazy.

How about Barbuda or Trinidad/Tobago?

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
552 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help picking an island and place to stay

Will check those out...thanks. I know it is hard to get everything you want at an reasonable price but I figure to aim high :) Any other ideas?

4. Re: Help picking an island and place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2011, 05:18