We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap caribbean vacations

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
cheap caribbean vacations

I would like try and take my two teenage boys (ages 15 and 17)somewhere in the Caribbean for a week between June and midAugust this summer and are looking to keep the costs down as much as possible (so no high end resorts). We rented a villa out on the island in Puerto Rico for less than $1,500 a couple of years ago and enjoyed our time there (which also included a side visit to Vieques). Flights now from Baltiimore to Puerto Rico are running over $600 a person for the summer which is to high for us. Wondering if there are other Caribbean islands anyone would recommend for our budget with activities for a family that would include beach time and some interesting sight seeing, and a possible vacation rental, so we could have some meals in and save money that way?

Edited: 01 January 2012, 17:08
Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap caribbean vacations

In general, you will find the most inexpensive pricing in Mexico, Dominican Republic and Jamaica. Your timing is the off season, which should help you meet your budget. Check out www.cheapcaribbean.com for specials. It is a reputable site.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap caribbean vacations

Thanks very much. I'll check out the site and look at these three countries. Have you travel to any of these? I have been to parts of Mexico and Jamaica but it has been many years since I've gone there. Any particular recommendations within these three countries?

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap caribbean vacations

If you aren't sure about the big cost up front for AI...we found the best way to travel reasonably to the Caribbean is like your PR trip - we go to a place like Timothy BR in St.Kitts or Flamboyant - Blue Horizons in Grenada maybe Tranquility Bay in Antigua. We try and get a one bedroom and put children on the pull out couch...kitchen for breakfast / lunch and coffee - maybe keep a bottle of wine...but still have access to a beach and a pool!

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap caribbean vacations

Thanks. We'll take a look at these.

5. Re: cheap caribbean vacations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 10:27