We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help!! I Just won a trip with starwood vacations.Where?

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
326 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help!! I Just won a trip with starwood vacations.Where?

I just won a facebook contest and will be getting a week at any starwood resort in north america including the caribbean. We are very familiar with starwood but we are thinking one of the carribean resorts. Looking for people who have stayed in these resorts and can advise as to how nice they are. We are villas owners and stay in maui quite often and are tempted to stay at princeville kaui as weve never been there buttt..... The contest gives us hotel and airfare so we were thinking of something in the Caribbean because its farther we are in California,but cant tell really what would be the best option. help us pick our free dream vacation!! Sooo if you were to pick a caribbean starwood which would it be... Im leaning toward vieques???

Starwood resorts on....

Aruba

Grand Cayman

Nassau

St. John

St. Maarten

Puerto Rico

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
383 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help!! I Just won a trip with starwood vacations.Where?

If you like Maui, then I would go with St. John.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help!! I Just won a trip with starwood vacations.Where?

I've been to all of the islands you mentioned, as well as Princeville (stayed there a few years ago). As much as I love St. John, I don't care for the Westin there. My vote would go to Princeville. It's a special place.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help!! I Just won a trip with starwood vacations.Where?

What do you like to do on your vacation? I have been to St John, Grand Cayman, Aruba & Vieques.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
326 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help!! I Just won a trip with starwood vacations.Where?

We like beaches with snorkeling, pools that arent too crowded, solid resorts, We like to explore and check out the cuture food and hidden jems. We have been to st thomas and puerto rico, but not st john and vieques. Vieques is intriguing because of the solitude and empty beaches. Princeville just looks great although we can go there to the westin villas with our ownership but this will be the only time probably ever we would stay at princeville. grandcaymans seems cool we have never been there?? Dont know what to pick. its a great problem to have though..lol.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
326 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help!! I Just won a trip with starwood vacations.Where?

Any help..a little bump?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help!! I Just won a trip with starwood vacations.Where?

I've been to all those islands, except St. John. What month do you plan on traveling, as to that could make a difference in your choice. If the St Regis in Puerto Rico is one of your choices, that is supposed to be absolutely beautiful.( haven't been to this resort). Plus the location is good for going to the rainforest, etc.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help!! I Just won a trip with starwood vacations.Where?

The properties on both St John & Vieques are beautiful. Here is my take:

The W on Vieques is only a year or two old. Beach area small. No worries getting a chair on the beach or by the pool. Definitely fewer people. Sand on Vieques is much courser and darker. Reminded us of east coast beaches. The beaches and snorkeling are harder to get to on unpaved roads. 4WD Jeep necessary. You'll only find a few other people on the beaches. Vieques is still unspoiled, but that will be changing soon. There are plans to build 2, maybe 3 more resorts in the near future.

The Westin on St John is over 20 years old (it wasn't always a Westin) and has undergone multiple renovations over the years. It is located on Great Cruz Bay. The beach is very large (long & wide). No problem getting a beach chair. Pool can be busy depending on time of year you go. More choices of food on property. Jeep recommended, but you can take taxi's to the North Shore beaches. The sand is very fine and white. The water bluer (IMO). STJ is definitely more developed, but still no fast food restaurants. Plenty of other choices though and you can still find true local food if you know where to go. North Shore beaches will be much more crowded than any beach on Vieques, but in general we never feel crowded. STJ is 2/3 National Park and most of the beaches are in the NP. There is no development allowed in the NP, so you won't find beach bars, restaurants or houses on those beaches. I think the snorkeling on STJ is much better and beaches easier to get to.

Hope that helps some.....

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help!! I Just won a trip with starwood vacations.Where?

Sorry - I skipped Grand Cayman. The Westin is located on gorgous Seven Mile Beach. The hotel is currently under going much need renovations. We found the pool area very crowded. Finding a chair tough, both around the pool and on the beach. If you want any shade you have to claim your spot EARLY!! They really need palapas and/or umbrellas. There are several restaurants within walking distance as well as the 2 or 3 choices on the property. You need a car to get to the good snorkeling spots.

IMHO I think GC is TOO TOO built up. Strip malls everywhere. Multiple cruise ships almost daily. If it wasn't for the great diving we wouldn't go. GC is also much more expensive. $1.00 US is only worth 80 cents CI.

(Also read my review of the Westin regarding our last stay there)

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
326 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help!! I Just won a trip with starwood vacations.Where?

Thanks guys . good info. we are looking at august -september!! This is really helping.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Help!! I Just won a trip with starwood vacations.Where?

Because this time of year is hurricane season, I'd check with Starwood in regard to hurricane policy. Chances are you'll be fine, but you never know. Aruba is outside the hurricane belt, if that makes a difference.