We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General ideas or suggestions?

Tacoma,WA
Level Contributor
915 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
General ideas or suggestions?

So we have a trip planned for February to Mexico (Mazatlan) (not booked yet) but have started having second thoughts, even though we have loved previous trips to Mexico. This is for our 5th anniversary and doing Mexico might be less expensive, but thinking how nice to maybe try somethig else given the current status of a lot of Mexico. We have Alaska air miles to use and I see I can use for American as well which flies to a lot of places down there. Just want relaxation and some nice blue water if we do Carribbean. We are open to anything from a nice condo to all inclusive. We are easy as far as travelers go and are open to getting out and exploring if the area allows for it. If not we are fine staying at the resort and relaxing on the beach.

Any ideas for somewhat affordable destination to try in february?

Tacoma,WA
Level Contributor
915 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General ideas or suggestions?

in Mexcio we were getting a oceanview condo (on the beach) for $135 a night. I know it will be more down in Carribean based off a little research I have done. We would be spending 5 nights down there, maybe 6. So willing to jump from the $750 I was spending for 5 nights up to 12-1300. for accomdations alone and for a great all inclusive I could go all the way up to 2,000.

If this is doable please lt me know with any suggestions

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General ideas or suggestions?

From Seattle we use our Alaska miles for flights to Turks and Caicos, St Thomas, St Croix & San Juan because they are somewhat easy to get to with only1-2 stops.

Depends on what you are really looking for San Juan will probably have the most "less" expensive choices and more variety. We have stayed 4 different place in PR and liked them all for different reasons. We don't stay on St Thomas but rather ferry to St John but of the three it is the most expensive. In my opinion it's the most "tropical" lush and beautiful. Although the rain forest in PR is pretty lush as you might imagine.

We are heading to StJ in June and taking in Virgin Gorda for some place new.

You could use miles to get to Hawaii too. The ocean will be warmer in the Caribbean though.

Anyway, we have been to many place in the Caribbean and all the major Hawaiian islands if you have more questions..

Donna

Tacoma,WA
Level Contributor
915 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for the great imput. Ill start researching a bit more. we are pretty open on dates..kinda planning around when the family can help watch our little one while we are gone. :)

Tacoma,WA
Level Contributor
915 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General ideas or suggestions?

I did look at Hawaii but hotels are soo damn expensive its almost rediculous. Thinking my dollar can go farther many other places..plus this may be our last adult trip for a while

5. Re: General ideas or suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 02:17