We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go this winter???

Ottawa
Level Contributor
106 posts
323 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go this winter???

Help! We are a family of 4 (two children, ages 3 and 5). We love travelling but running out of ideas where to go! We like nice, white sand beach with smooth water (ie. Grace Bay on T & C), SAFE and must have some form of medical facilities/access. We have been to a number of islands however, all pre kids. Went to T & C last year and it was outstanding!

Thinking Aruba but cannot find a hotel that would be quiet, without a fight for a shaded umbrella or crazy crowds. We prefer not all-inclusive as we like to go out and dine etc.

Any suggestions???

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go this winter???

Bucuti would probably be a good choice in Aruba, but....

This forum is lightly followed and you would be better served by posting to the specific destinations you are interested in, such as the Aruba Forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g147247-i144-Aruba…

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go this winter???

If Aruba doesn't work out, please think Bahamas!

Here goes - 2nd photo down - astarwasborn.com/teen-yoga-training-retreat-… - is the REAL (& realistic!) shot of my recommendation - the beach curving & stretching off in the distance, going right in front of the Reef & the Cove...

Beyond having amazing beaches, Paradise Island is SAFE & has 2 hospitals a 10 min. drive away in Nassau. Wish I could also say there was a direct flight from Ottawa...

So, if it were me, and in my budget, I'd look at the Cove or the Reef on Paradise Island. They are on a glorious beach that almost always (unless the wind is out of the West, but prevailing winds are from the East) has a very calm section, making it very kid friendly!

Happy Deciding!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
106 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go this winter???

sailexuma...

you read our mind! We htought of doing the Reef or Grand Isle Exuma. However, we were perplexed with the crime increase in the Bahamas. Any thoughts???

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go this winter???

Great! (that I'm a mind reader, that is...!)

I'm curious (and out of the 'where it's safe to travel' loop, I guess) - are there travel updates in Canada warning against the crime in The Bahamas? All I can say is that I live here full time, as do my family & friends (extended numbers of all of us!) and we all have so far (touch wood) not had a problem. I think you bring your common sense & usual caution, and you'll be fine. With 2 little ones, I doubt you'll be out exploring off the beaten track much anyway, or walking around after dark through the 'fringe' areas. I do know visitors who do this without incident, even where I might question doing so, but don't think that's what you'd be doing anyway...

If you're at the Cove or Reef you'll be in the Atlantis "bubble" most of the time, but don't see any reason why you wouldn't go for a stroll downtown to have the kids get their own straw hats or dolls (personalized with their names on them) & Del Sol colour changing shirts :) or take a cab to feed the lorries & stand on one leg with the flamingos at Ardastra Gardens & Zoo, or go pose on cannon at Fort Charlotte, or go out for a SAIL..!!!

Too many thoughts...?!?!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go this winter???

Forgot to say that, of course, Exuma is awesome too...

I didn't suggest other Bahamian islands because of your requirement for medical facilities/access - I guess I interpreted that as 'hospital' and since there are 2 in Nassau, and none in Exuma... but I'd be pretty sure there are Doctors and Nurses on the island.

A trip to Exuma is going to be quieter, with fewer people, and more beaching and swimming, less 'attractions' (not a bad thing!) and a lot of charming & fun things to see & do. You might spend more time in a car, driving around to do them... Perhaps go to the Great Exuma forums and read a few Trip Reports?

I am not familiar with Grand Isle but am going to have a look - is their beach gorgeous?!?

6. Re: Where to go this winter???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 05:18