We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All-around questions about a trip to the Caribbean.

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
Save Topic
All-around questions about a trip to the Caribbean.

I need to know basically everything...

What I'm looking for/details:

I'm going with another person...undecided on who, most likely my boyfriend.

Which island and what part to go to

Clear/beautiful waters

Somewhere to go cliff diving

Affordable hotels-or hostels, not deterred from those-food, entertainment

Hopefully somewhere with bike rentals

What time of year to go

What to see/do

What outlets are available to charge electronic devices-are they the same as US or would I need a converter of some sort

What to pack-what can get through travel, customs, whatever I may encounter

How much money I need to save up. I'm looking to go within a year to year and a half so I have a bit of time to save up. Also, any other information you can provide would be excellent! Thank you!

Edited: 14 January 2014, 08:53
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: All-around questions about a trip to the Caribbean.

Hi Melissa M & Welcome to the TA Forums!

Those are a lot of questions :) It's hard to tell you how much you need to save, or have available to spend, as it all depends on what type of trip you'd like to have, and where you want to stay!

I imagine airfare from Phoenix to Nassau (where I am) would run $600-$800pp, depending on when you come. You can spend about $140 a night for accommodation here, and of course, you can spend a lot more. You can stay at in a hotel room or a condo rental (check out vrbo.com) or you could go to an all inclusive - not knowing your budget, 3 you could plug in dates for to get an idea of the cost might be the RIU, Breezes, and the Paradise Island Harbour Resort...

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: All-around questions about a trip to the Caribbean.

When to go is also up for grabs - I like the water temps best from mid-May to mid-October, so that's when I'd go, and I like them most more mid-June to mid-Sept.

I wouldn't say that cliff diving is a big thing to do in The Bahamas - although if you search the forums for The Bahamas, I am sure you'll find several threads where it is discussed.

There are, however, many other things to do here that could be considered adventurous - e.g. snorkeling, parasailing, scuba diving, and not so adventurous e.g. feeding parrots, walking among flamingoes, bike riding, horseback riding on the beach, sailing...

Happy Planning!

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: All-around questions about a trip to the Caribbean.

Thank you to the people who have replied so far, I appreciate it! :D

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All-around questions about a trip to the Caribbean.

I agree with sailexuma. It would be helpful to know what you are looking for besides cliff diving.

So many islands, all with something different to offer.

5. Re: All-around questions about a trip to the Caribbean.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:19