We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of food at frangipani????

louisiana
Level Contributor
206 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Price of food at frangipani????

We finally booked our trip to Anguilla and we are staying at Frangipani. I was wondering how expensive the food is at the hotel? I was also wondering if anyone new the average price in USD of food is on the island?

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price of food at frangipani????

There are menus at www.anguillaguide.com (on the left under dining out) -- restaurants are in every price range. Near you are Lucy's & Picante which are very reasonable; Altamer, Blanchard's & Mango's which are among the most expensive on the island.

cape may new jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of food at frangipani????

looked at the dinner menu at Frangipani while there in Feb. 2007 and the average price for an entree is $30.00 US. There were not a lot of choices under that price but maybe one entree.

There are several very good restaurants such as E's Oven, Roys, Flavors - just to mention a few - that have entrees starting at $20.00 US.

One of the new restaurants this year - Vega - was offering on Monday nights a 3 course special for $50.00/person

Indiana
Level Contributor
279 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of food at frangipani????

we just returned from staying at Frangipani's and I agree with the other posts... there are many affordable restaurants in the area including Tasty's. Frangipani can be expensive, menu is limited and doesn't compete with the other restaurants int the area. It is always fun to explore other restaurants and you really should in Anguilla. The dining is always an experience. The breakfasts at Frangipani's was very disappointing, make sure you arrive early because by 9am because the contiential breakfast items are gone... very limited.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of food at frangipani????

what was your experience otherwise? Many posters have said they ware really impressed with the "new and improved " Frangipani. That is why we went ahead and booked at the end of May. Thanks.

Indiana
Level Contributor
279 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of food at frangipani????

I think Mead's Bay is one of the best beaches on the island. That will change within the next few years because there is major construction going on, right next to the Frangipani. Don't worry, it didn't affect our stay, walking on the beach or reading in the chairs. The renvoation is still going on at the Frangipani and they are trying to fix some things... but that won't cause you any inconvenince. The continential breakfast selection was poor. There's a couple of trays of food with limited selection of fruit, rolls and bagels. If you are interested in eating breakfast make sure you get there early because the servers are not good at replenishing the food or juices. We had to ask several times for orange juice before we finally gave up. We have an issue with the people helping at the front desk and the concierge person. Please don't rely on the information that they provide because it is inaccurate. They strongly encouraged us to go to Sandy Island one afternoon for snorkeling and it was awful. Sandy Island had no areas for snokeling, the coral was all damaged from years of storms. We wanted to travel to Sr. Barts and ended up going to the airport. The concierge discouraged us from booking a carter flight and said that she would get us information on daily trips, when we returned from a walk, the concierge left for the day without providing us with any information or update. She gave us the wrong times and costs for the ferries... what ever you do don't use the concierge service. We were new to the island and didn't realize that you HAD to make reservations are restaurants. We were provided with some recommendations from the front desk but when we arrived, without reseverations, we were turned away. I would strongly encourage you to rent a car so that you can explore the island... the beaches are wonderful and the dinner were incredible. We asked the resort guests for recommedations... You will enjoy the resort but the service isn't what I expected. You will forget all of that when you see the incredible beaches. Would I stay at Frangipani again, probably not because I was hoping for better service but I would definitely go back to the island again. Hope that helps.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Price of food at frangipani????

Thank you. We are planning to get a car and I will keep in mind that the concierge service is leaving something to be desired. I am still unsure about the place because there were quite a few bad reviews before the new management and the renovations started. Then there were raving reviews (those were the ones we based our decision on) and now, you are not that happy. So I am wondering......and starting to feel skeptical.

Were you happy with the accomodations and the other support staff? I can live without a reliable concierge if I know that her information is unreliable. But I would not feel comfortable if the other staff are mediocre. Thanks.

Indiana
Level Contributor
279 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price of food at frangipani????

I loved the location and the room was nice. The renovations in the rooms were completed, but there are issues with what was done. For example, the glass tiles that were in the showers were coming up as we took showers. I was picking up tile pieces as walked across the shower stall. The owners were staying at the resort while we were there said that this summer they were going to pull all the tile up and redo it with something other than glass tiles. They discovered this problem midway through the renovations and half the rooms were done with the wrong tile. I really enjoyed our vacation and had the same hesitation you did with what I read. I didn't have very high expectations with the hotel but I was pleasantly surprised. We just had a number of things that were wrong. Two twin beds instead of a king for my husband and I. They couldn't locate anyone to bring in a king bed so we had to spend the night on twin beds. It wasn't until Monday that the maintenance staff was available.

Just do your homewrok before you go and know what you what to do... the office staff can be rude. Especially Taura, the reservation manager. I brought my confirmation letter with me and I'm glad I did because they were going to charge me $100 extra per night. I guess the rate had changed and they made a mistake with my reservation. I just expected better service. If we asked for anything, we felt like we were putting them out.

On the plus side, the housekeeping crew was wonderful and they kept the rooms clean with fresh towels. Sherman, the bartender, is wonderful and make sure he is the one you order from. The others cannot even make a smoothie. On Wednesday evening there is a steel band that plays in the outside dining area and it was fun! We never ate any of our meals are the resort.

The front staff just isn't very forthcoming with information. You had to pull it out of them. We discovered three days into the trip that there was a boat available at the resort for scheduling excursions... if you are laying out in the beach chairs, there's bottled water available to you in a cooler next to the snokel equipment. The dolphin tanks are within walking distance of the resort on a point. You can walk up and watch the dolphins get feed and go through their morning routines... without any cost. It was a pleasant way to spend the morning. We did visit the Cuisieart and Cap J locations and you could tell a huge difference in the level of service. They were very helpful. Hope this helps

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Price of food at frangipani????

Thank you ever so much!!! I really appreciate your taking the time to "warn" me and to be reassuring . We've got our fingers crossed.! Smiles.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Price of food at frangipani????

We are going to stay at the Frangipani for 2 weeks for our honeymoon and I hope that things will be just as good as the positive reviews. Is there construction going on right on the property can you see it from the beach?

Indiana
Level Contributor
279 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price of food at frangipani????

There is several construction sites going on in Mead's Bay but it shouldn't disrupt your beach time... there's one immediately next to Frangipani, one on the point where the doplins currently are located and one that will soon start on the other side of Frangipani. The noise didn't bother us too much but then we didn't stay at Mead's Bay everyday, we explored the island and went to as many beaches are we could. The construction didn't disrupt our morning walks... but once the large construction project starts on the other side of Frangipani it might be an issue. Not sure then construction starts there. Enjoy Mead's Bay now, because it will look completely different a few years when construction is completed.