We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Cruises and Cabs...

Level Contributor
527 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Water Cruises and Cabs...

Hello All!

Thanks so much for all the info on where to eat, safety measures, and mosquito repellent!

I have a few questions, though, even after reading all the great posts!

My husband and I will be staying at Carimar in late Feb. We don't snorkle, but were hoping for either a day cruise with lunch or a sunset cruise with cocktails. I've read about both Chocolat and Junior Fleming, but wasn't sure which to contact (or both?). Should I do that directly with them or go through the resort?

Also, we will be there for a week and would like to explore some of the restaurants/music in the evenings. Should we get a car or just take a cab? Some of the posts regarding safety have me worried about driving ourselves and walking to wherever we want to go.

Thank you so much!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,651 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Cruises and Cabs...

I think you are better off renting a car, gives you the freedom to move around and do some sightseeing - cabs are expensive.

You are staying on the West End, from your resort, you could walk to Bananas by the Sea - very good, and Blanchards, so, so for us and our most expensive meal. You could probably walk to Lucy's too, but it would be very dark.

Evening music is mostly in Sandy Ground which is 20-30 minutes away from where you are staying - they do have music at a few of the restaurants on the W End, Mango's, Cuisinart and CapJ.

Both Junior and Chocolat get good reviews, but I don't have any personal knowledge. Since Carimar is a more "self service" type of place, I think you would be better off contacting Junior and Capt Rollins on your own.

Good Luck, have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Cruises and Cabs...

Junior Fleming is AbFab for snorkeling excursions. To my knowledge his boats, which feature glass bottoms are not set up to serve meals or drinks and I was on them as recently as last November. Here's his contact # 264-497-4456 or 264-235-1008 (mobile).For what you describe I think you should contact:

Shoal Bay Scuba-Shoal Bay East 264-497-4371

Here's the link to their website's description of a day trip to Prickly Pear that includes lunch:

They also offer a sunset cruise:

If you haven't looked at the Anguilla Guide you should. It offers a wealth of information that will assist you in planning your holiday.

On the auto issue, we rented a car and loved the freedom it gave us. Anguilla is a small island so traffic is never intense. Even though you drive on the left side, it's the round abouts you need to pay attention to and local drivers are very patient with visitors. Taxis are really expensive, but if you plan on having a few drinks you might want to consider your safety.

Best of luck with your trip!

Level Contributor
527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Cruises and Cabs...

Thank you both so much for all the great info! I think we'll look into renting a car, especially if we'll be far from the "action" and cabs are expensive. I thought we were close to the Valley staying at the Carimar. I guess not!

Thank you so much too for all the links! I will definitely go to the Anguilla pages. We can't wait to go!

Thank you again!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Cruises and Cabs...

Carimar is a 20 minute ride from The Valley -- you should go to www.anguillaguide.com and order a free map of the island. It's illustrated & has all of the beaches, resorts and restaurants on it (not a "traditional" boring map!). I just got my 2007 version & it is better than ever!

5. Re: Water Cruises and Cabs...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 18:16