We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what kind of music do they play?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
what kind of music do they play?

I'm sorry if this has been answered before but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find out what kind of music various groups that people rave about actually play. We're going in February and are 40ish adults who like to dance. Please help me!!

thanks!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,773 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what kind of music do they play?

Boss and Gossip played known (pop) songs, easy to dance to. Had a great time dancing at Sunsets (now closed) to Boss, he plays at Mangos, but I don’t know if there is dancing…he is really good.

Gossip played at Gwen’s on the beach and no one was dancing there, same type of music, thought he was good too…Gossip and Boss seemed to me to be the “rock stars” of Anguilla.

Musical Brothers played at Smokey’s, no where to dance there, suppose you could go out on the beach, they played more reggae, more mellow, easy listening, but some pop music also, I think they play at the Pumphouse on Thursdays and they have a dance floor.

Ellen

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what kind of music do they play?

Dumpa uses the steel drums and is an excellent group that I would say is a combination of Island sound mixed with Jazz, if that makes any sense at all.

I don't happen to know their schedule. They used to be at the now defunct Altamer on Tuesday nights.

MA
Level Contributor
240 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what kind of music do they play?

Scilly Cay on a Sunday has the Happy Hits. They play a combination of what I call "island" music, that slow Caribbean beat that anyone can move their hips and feet to. Lots of dancing going on in the sand after a couple rum punches while waiting for meals. It's a fun afternoon.

About 4 PM you move on to Elodia's where Rude Boy or someone plays more Caribbean, reggae type of music. The tables are moved back so there is plenty of space for dancing. A couplemore rum punches here and EVERYONE is dancing!

Nothing like a Sunday on Anguilla!

PJ38

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what kind of music do they play?

They had a dance floor cleared out at Smokey's yesterday -- the Musical Brothers played & there were a number a people dancing right in front of the band.

The jazz trio that used to play in front of Uncle Ernie's on Sundays is now going to play at Malli but I can't remember what night they'll be there (too much rum punch at Smokey's -- a few more brain cells have disappeared!).

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what kind of music do they play?

And yes people do dance at Mangos, on the area in front of the bar.

Darvon Mussington also played there. Have to wait for the new

season to see what bands they will have.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what kind of music do they play?

Seriously folks!

Where IS Dumpa these days?

Inquiring minds...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,773 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what kind of music do they play?

Last I heard he is at Frangi on Wednesday's.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what kind of music do they play?

Thanks everyone for your help!! Since there are 14 of us, I am trying to figure out ahead of time what to do and where to go so I can make reservations etc. Also thinking about bringing someone in to our villa. Any ideas ( for dance music and/or dinner music )?

BTW- I don't post much because I can usually find out what I need by searching. I just want to say how much I appreciate all the experts who take the time to answer questions from us newbies!!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what kind of music do they play?

There was a b-day party at Smokey's on Saturday -- looked like 18-20 people. Smokey's set up 2 big round tables in the room where the band plays and the party-goers had a good time dancing! The music is from noon-3; the food is very good; the rum punch is outstanding; the beach is superb. I would highly recommend it for your party.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what kind of music do they play?

Mary, that sounds like fun but we will all be leaving on Saturday! My husband and I are coming down Friday-Saturday so we can have a couple days by ourselves and everyone else comes down Monday. I guess my husband and I will have to go by ourselves!

Donna