We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Axa vs Mustique

S B
New York
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Topic
Axa vs Mustique

I started out wanting to go to every island, but after AXA, kept going back. I've been 8 times, going back for the 9nth in April, and want to set up a trip for somewhere else next year. I spent my whole trip at Little Dix Bay saying "this is OK but I could have been at Cap." So I've been looking at Mustique, and have an opportunity to stay at the Cotton House. Can anyone who has been to both islands let me know if I will again spend my precious vacation pining for Anguilla, or is Mustique different but comparable?

virginia
Level Contributor
68 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Axa vs Mustique

I haven't been to AXA yet -- will next month -- but have been to Mustique.

Mustique was nice but I wasn't impressed enough to go back. It is certainly expensive. It is fun that it is small enough that you get around on golf carts. The snorkeling and swimming was sub-par -- too shallow off the shore in many places, and very rocky. Beaches were OK, not great. I think AXA will have better beaches.

When we went we stayed in a villa -- actually had to change villas because the water stopped working where we were staying. I think it was Blue Waters. They switched us to another one, I can't remember the name of it.

Here are some photos of our trip to Mustique:

http://www.hooville.net/images/mustique/

We enjoyed it there but I think there are too many other places to check out for us to go back any time soon. We also did not stay at Cotton House but did sit on their beach, which was fine but nothing spectacular.

ct
Level Contributor
270 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Axa vs Mustique

I've been to both. When on Mustique we stayed at the Firefly which was amazing. The rates included food, which is good because there are only a couple of places to eat on Mustique--Cotton House, Basil's and Firefly. The dinners at Firefly aren't all that great--certainly nothing compared to the fine restaurants on Anguilla. Mustique is 'prettier' than Anguilla with lusher vegetation and also some nice beaches. Snorkeling is probably even less than Anguilla. IMO 3-4 days is plenty for Mustique.

You can find Cotton House on Luxurylink.com

New Jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Axa vs Mustique

Looking at your post probably after the fact. Mustique is a good trip, high rent but with a staff. Cooking good for most, but will not compare Anguilla restaurant standards. That said, privacy and accomodatios are wonderful, Macaroni beach one of the best. Only two villas have direct access to that beach. One very expensive [Alumbrera], the other ideally situated but a bit dated [White Cedars]. White Cedars comparably a better value. Simplicity wonderful though tough swimming there, Heron Bay magnificent, though a 5 minute golf cart ride to macaroni. Anguilla beaches, in particular Shoal Bay East, are unsurpassed in this hemisphere, more plentiful than Mustique, but overall just as expensive, if not more so for a private villa. You can't go wrong with either.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Axa vs Mustique

I have been to AXA and Mustique. I would do Mustique if I was mega rich and wanted an enclave just for me. It's a bit too small for my taste but it's indeed lovely. Cotton House is very nice.

Whilst AXA is small I prefer the many dining choices, the West Indian charm and the overall vibe.

If you have an op to stay free or it's some great deal, go to Cotton House. You will not have a bad time. Go to Basil's and Macaroni Beach.

S B
New York
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Axa vs Mustique

Thanks all. The trip is in 2 weeks (I guess it's a good thing I didn't book Cap at that time). Any advice on how casual vs dressy, as compared to Koal Keel or Altamer?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Axa vs Mustique

Depending whether you are in a villa [my preference-more privacy, personalized service, and your own pool] or the Cotton House, dress will vary. Of course in your own villa, you can dine in your bathing suit if you want. Cotton house is summer casual dress. Basils is casual. I'm not quite sure the food is worth the price when you can eat in at your villa---a lot depends on your particular chef's cookong skills. Some villas promote their more accomplished chefs. Shelley at Sanctuare, the U.S. reservation agency, can help you with this. Without all that evening wear, you can certainly get by throwing all you need in a carry on bag. The staff will do your laundry. Keep in mind I did not travel to Mustique several times to socialize. To me Mustique is more that 'Robinson Crusoe' thing with luxury accomodations.

S B
New York
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Axa vs Mustique

Excellent, thatnk you

S B
New York
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Axa vs Mustique

Oops, that should be thank you!

9. Re: Axa vs Mustique

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla