We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prickly Pear-Getting There

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Topic
Prickly Pear-Getting There

Hi All!

I have a few more questions for the Anguilla Gurus (and for Queen MaryGG!)

My husaband and I want to visit Prickly Pear, but aren't sure how to get there. The AnguillaGuide site says to just take a boat, but do we have to reserve one in advance? Can we just go to Sandy Ground and ask if we can get someone to take us?

We don't want to "plan" the whole trip!

Also, we want to go to The Pumphouse for an evening of dancing. Do many tourists go there? Any reviews?

Thank you all so much!

Uni

9 days to go!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prickly Pear-Getting There

When we've gone to Prickly Pear, we've gone on the catamaran Chocolat which you do have to reserve in advance. I think there are other options.

As for the Pumphouse, yes, tourists go there and so do ex-pats and Anguillians. I think Thursdays are the most fun & the craziest. Everyone shows up there after the resort/restaurant dinner hours close -- so you have tons of resort & restaurant staff and owners piling in on everyone who's already there. Sometimes there are just loads of people in the street. It's really a good time. and if it's too much -- just head over to Elvis place which is just down the road (www.elvisbeachbar.net -- can you believe that a turned over boat has a web site! Ya gotta love the Internet!).

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prickly Pear-Getting There

Thank you so much!

MaryGG - you're the best!!!

Uni

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prickly Pear-Getting There

If you look at Allan & Sue's web site, you'll see transportation by Gotcha on Wednesdays and Fridays from Sandy Ground. Just go to Roy's and look for Allan the bartender to make a reservation or do it through the web page. Go to www.pricklypearanguilla.com for details including prices. I think I read it ws $55 including lunch and the boat leaves at 10 and returns at 3:30.

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Prickly Pear-Getting There

Thank you so much!

Yes, I saw that there are charters by Gotcha on Wednesdays and Fridays, and I know that Shoal Bay Scuba does charters there on Wednesdays and Saturdays. BUT we really want to go on Tuesday (will be visiting Scilly Cay Wed and leave on Sat). Prickly Pear's website says that it's open on Tuesdays. Any ideas on how my husband and I could get there that day? Besides swim?!? HA! lol

Thank you all again!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Prickly Pear-Getting There

Ok, so you don't want to plan but you definately want to go on Tuesday? In that case I would do one of two things: 1) Either call Gotcha and ask if one of their guys can run you out since they are based in Sandy Ground (you might need to be flexible on your time for this) or 2) Ask at Johnno's if they have transportation. They have a restaurant out there and may be able to provide. I admit I've only gone to Prickly Pear on private charters with Gotcha for a half or whole day of visiting the outer cays. This option would definately require a booking.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prickly Pear-Getting There

Junior Fleming, who operates a glass bottom boat operation on Shoal bay East, can go out to Prickly Pear as far at I know. If he can't, he'll know locals who can take you out safely on your schedule.

His mobile # is 264-235-1008.

Have a wonderful vacation on a very special island!

Anguilla
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prickly Pear-Getting There

Hi "Uni":

I thought that you had left for AXA already. I'm curious, aside from going on a lovely boat ride (weather permitting), what do you hope to do and see on Prickly Pear, that you cannot do and see elsewhere on Anguilla? Unless you and yours are seasoned sea voyagers; if the water is "choppy" on the day of your charter, you are probably not going to enjoy the boat ride very much or the snorkeling which is best done off-shore from PP. If the weather is very good, it will definitely be a fun day. Make sure to call Val at "Fat Cat Gourmet" a day or so before, so that you'll be able to take a great lunch along with you...perhaps her delicious cold lobster salad accompanied by a another salad of locally- grown greens and tomatoes in a balsamic vinegar dressing? There I go again - always thinking with my stomach! Anyhow, if the weather is only "so so" - I'm not certain that "choppy" water is enough to influence a charter boat operator against accepting your fares?

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Prickly Pear-Getting There

Wow! Thank you so much, Zabar, I never thought of the potential choppy waters...

I have a war within myself because I want to "go everywhere and do everything," and my husband is the type who wants to plan nothing! I guess some of the natural indecisiveness from which we suffer came out in my post! Sorry all!

I guess it's not essential. We really like to chill, so I don't think the trip to Prickly Pear is essential. We can definitely go another time!

Thank you all, so much, again. Without you all, I'd be truly lost!

Zabar - we leave in 4 days! WooHoo!

Uni

Anguilla
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prickly Pear-Getting There

Hey "Uni":

If the weather is great - go for it. You might also enjoy a Daytrip to Deadman's Bay (see my recent posting - "A Daytrip to Remember")and read all of the wonderful responses by other Forum contributors.

One of our contributors "cha6125" recently tried to book a daytrip to Deadman's Bay with a boatman (Nature Boy) at a R/T cost of $150 for the boat ride only. That was a very fair price. Unfortunately, the weather was lousy last week and the water was a bit rough; consequently, I don't think that they were able to go. I think that Nature Boy can easily be found near the dock at Island Harbor. If you're interested in using his services, send a PM to "cha6125" and ask him for the best way to contact "Nature Boy". As long as the seas are calm, the boat ride to DB will not be any problem. Once you arrive on Deadman's Bay, you DON'T have to be an experienced snorkeler to really see some spectacular fish. My wife Annie (when we 1st went to DB) was NOT a strong swimmer, and, she literally "waded" out to the reef. Once on the reef, the water is so shallow that most people are not going to get "freaky-deaky". Whatever you decide to do or not do - I'm sure that we all hope that you have a spectacular vacation. Please file a TripReport with us when you get home. Zabar

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Prickly Pear-Getting There

Thank you again for the great tips! I will keep "Nature Boy" in mind if the weather is good! I read your post on DB, and it sounds heavenly!

I just looked online for the 10 day forecast, though, and it's all rain! Oh well - I can still swim in the ocean when it's raining!

Let's hope we get out of here on time. They're forecasting a snow storm for the end of the week, so I'm hoping it misses us!

I will definitely fill out a trip report when we return!

Thank you all, again, for everything!

Uni