We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers--Cell phone??

Bmore
1 post
Save Topic
First Timers--Cell phone??

We will celebrate our 10th anniversary at CP. Traveling from US, leaving two kids with grandparents. Will be have cellphone access in Anguilla to check on the wee-ones back home? Any advice re: getting around the island? Can we rent bikes? What should we absolutely see/do while on the island? We're there for 6 days, 5 nights. Thanks in advance!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers--Cell phone??

That depends on your carrier. We were able to use my husbands AT&T iphone without any problems. Mine (verizon) did not work.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers--Cell phone??

We rented from Cable & Wireless ($5/day plus a phone card). More & more people are getting access by talking to their carriers before they leave. We have Verizon which works in SXM but not Anguilla.

Secondly, no on bikes. Anguilla is a long, flat island with essentially one main road running the length (the samller roads to the beaches & villages peel off on the Caribbean and Atlantic sides. There is a lot of development on the island and, consequently, a lot of construction traffic (trucks). I personally think the main road is way too dangerous for bikes for the forseeable future. Cars aren't expensive and are necessary to get to the beaches (33) and the restaurants (nearly 80). It's very spread out.

What to see? Beaches & restaurants.

Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers--Cell phone??

Cingular works, but it's expensive - about $2 per minute.

Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers--Cell phone??

same here verizon is a no AT&T no problems

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers--Cell phone??

Any chance ya'll might know if cellphone rental is still available? We would really like to have one but our carrier (Sprint=horrible) doesn't have coverage for our phone type.

Thanks so much,

Jude

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timers--Cell phone??

RTReed-

Our AT & T worked last November. I agree. No on bikes for sure. Things to see and do are beaches and restaurants. My personal favorite beach is Rendezvous Bay-and if you are there around lunch the Dune Preserve is an excellent choice for lunch. You may also want to have a drink at the Cuisinart bar. Some can't miss restaurants in my opinion are:

Blanchards

Picante

Olivers

Mangos

Barrel Stay

Straw Hat

7. Re: First Timers--Cell phone??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2009, 07:27
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla