We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining Solo

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Dining Solo

I don't mind dining solo for breakfast or lunch but prefer not at night. I often feel sad when I see someone dining alone so I prefer not to be a distraction. If there is a bar such as at Luna Rosa or E's Oven I would be cool. Where might I be comfy dining at night alone...thanks..

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining Solo

I was wondering the same as I may be travelling solo in November. I was thinking any of the BBQ's on the weekend, Lucy's Restaurant as most nights there is hardly anyone there and you could probably make friends with Lucy. Elvis' for something light. It will be interesting to see the responses.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,976 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining Solo

I would think that any places like Mangos or Straw Hat, to name just two, would be glad to accommodate you at their bar.

Queensbury, New York
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining Solo

I travel all the time by myself and I'm extremely happy doing it. You shouldn't feel sad if you see someone dining alone - especially at a place like Anguilla. It's most likely they chose to travel alone there. I have eaten at all of the big name restaurants and the smaller ones too,have loved every moment of it, and have been welcomed with open arms. Actually I have found that the wait staff takes an extra minute or two chatting with me, and it's wonderful to hear about their lives. If you think you'd feel uncomfortable, go early in the evening or like you suggested - eat at the bar. I know Picante often serves at the bar. Veya has a great lounge area and you can eat there too. Ferryboat Inn is another that comes to mind.

It's funny you should mention feeling sad for someone travelling alone - when I see families or couples out dining and it's obvious they are not having a good time, I feel sorry for them that they are in a gorgeous setting and not able to enjoy every moment of it!!

Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining Solo

Well said Rascals Mom!

I have seen singles eating at TT bar also.

I have not dined solo, but think most places are very accomodating. You'll feel fine.

Port St Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining Solo

Have seen many people dining solo at the bar of Roy's Bayside. You are bound to strike up a conversation with one of the many expats.

Queensbury, New York
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining Solo

Heavens - how could I forget Barrel Stay? Jill is a most gracious host and will take time to talk with you. I was there for lunch one afternoon, only one there and we had a wonderful chat!

I always have fun with dining alone - pretend I'm celebrating something special - no matter how silly it is - Good hair day, bad hair day, no sunburn day, walked the entire length of the beach day, didn't buy that sweater day, bought that sweater day - whatever - just think of something that's going to put a smile on your face and go for it!!

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining Solo

Thansk Rascal..I traveled alot solo pre Maggie, my now 17 year old but her wings are taking her off to wonderful adventures. I do not mind dining alone at all just not at a table at night. It's just not my thing. A bar is fine..thanks for the great tips.

Texas
Level Contributor
372 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining Solo

I am with you.....I hate eating alone especially in certain restaurants. I just feel a bit out of place. I did Anguilla solo in January and I felt very comfortable at Picante....ate at the bar and there was an expat and some friendly locals eating there too. The owners are very friendly as well. I would also suggest Un Amore Cafe....very casual and others eating solo. At TT the waitress was quite nice (I did not think about eating at the bar....I will try that next time). The one place I really did not like eating by myself was Mango's. It was all very strange.....when I called to see if they would be able to accomodate me....they initially said no we are booked.....but then said they could fit me in. The entire time I was at the restaurant I don' think there were more than 4 or 5 other tables occupied at any one time. I also felt like the waitress was pushing me out the door.....not sure why since the place was not the least bit crowded. So I would suggest Picante and Un Amore be at the top of your solo dining list.....and TT is fine too especially if you can eat at the bar.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,976 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining Solo

samstevens:

I am realy shocked to hear about your Mango experience because the last time we were there there was a very pleasant woman sitting alone and the place was fairly crowded. I recall remarking to my mate how I would feel uncomfortable doing that unless I was at the bar (my own stupid problem of insecurity, really!)

But the thing that struck me the most was the warm and constant attention given to her. The staff did everything to make her welcome.

In fact, that is one reason I recommended it above (besides their superb menu and chef!)

CT, USA
Level Contributor
228 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining Solo

I've been going for years by myself, sometimes I still feel funny eating alone but most times it's not an issue. Straw Hat, Ripples, are places I always feel comfortable in.