We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we stay?

Hi, my best friend and I are planning a trip in April or May, 2010. I am rather intrigued by Anguilla. We absolutely love a beautiful beach and if we have one, don't tend to use the pool. We like to mix our own drinks and wonder to the beach. We eat breakfast at the resort, lunch in our room and dinner out. I have read the reviews and wonder where you think we should stay? We want to spend the least amount possible. I have also been looking at the Grand Case Beach Club or Divi Little Bay or possibly Antigua, The Verandah. I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,866 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we stay?

If you wait until after April 15, you will be going into low season when the rates change.

Check Ku and Shoal Bay Villas on Shoal Bay east, Nathans Cove and Carimar on Meads Bay.

All have good rates and are on a beautiful beach, where you walk out your door and you are there.

Good Luck and happy planning,

Ellen

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we stay?

Hi Ellen, Out of the resorts your mentioned, if you had to pick one on Meads Bay and one on Shoal Bay East what would it be?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,866 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we stay?

Shoal Bay Villas on Shoal Bay East, and Nathans Cove on Meads Bay.

Both are affordable and spacious.

I am sure other have different views.

Good Luck

Ellen

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we stay?

Thanks Ellen. I appreciate your opinion.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we stay?

Anguilla is nothing like the other islands you mention. There is not much "to do", or have alot going on in Anguilla. Thats the reason we love it so much. On Meads bay, Carimar is nice. You have your own kitchen. Ask for a beach front. I have not seen Nathans cove, but trust Ellen's opinion as I know she has been there a few times, and she's one of my co-anguilla lovers for years on these related Forums.

I stayed at Shoal Bay villas one time, and liked it alot also.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we stay?

Hi Nowayellen, thanks for your input. I know that Anguilla is very, very, very quiet. I am quite happy with nothing much to do and a beautiful beach. I thought that we may take a day trip to St. Martin for shopping, in the middle of the week. I have been looking closely at Carimar. How much nicer is Shoal Bay East versus Meads? I have been to Aruba and love Eagle Beach. I am looking for something that tops that.

Toronto
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we stay?

Both top Eagle Beach, hands down.

Choosing between Mead's and SBE is, to me, like picking pizza toppings. It depends on what you like/what you're in the mood for but in the end, it's still pizza! Let others chime in on which they prefer.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should we stay?

Meads is quieter, wider and more open...Some construction going on on the far west end, more at Barnes Bay, but would not effect Carimar/or Nathans at all. Shoal Bay East has more bars you can walk to, music, and a little more activity. More of a younger set, and livelier crowd,..........oh, what crowd? LOL

NEW YORK, NY
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should we stay?

Meads Bay is my favoriye on Anguilla. I agree Carimar would be great. The beach is beautiful , and they do not have a pool. Slightly up the beach on Meands is Frangipani-also beautiful beach--they have two pools. We also eat lunch in the room and eat dinner out. The kitchens in both Frangipani and Carimar are perfect for that. Frangipani is fully air cinditioned with cable/satelite TV --Carimar only has air conditioned bedrooms.

MA
Level Contributor
240 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should we stay?

We much prefer to stay on SBE and Upper Shoal Bay but always visit Meads for one day. Take a look at Serenity Cottages. It's very quiet. Some folks complain about the beach because there is reef with good snorkeling right off shore but I've never found it lacking. Gwen's beach bar is a short 5 min. walk and another 10 min. walk to the point. No buildings at all on that part of the beach and you feel like you are in a very special place. And you are! Once you turn the corner there is a mile of gorgeous SBE with a handful of beach bars and accomodations with many umbrellas and lounges but never actually crowded. It's a great walking/swimmimg/snorkeling beach. My favorite place!

PJ38