We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone stay at Ku Resort

Davis, California
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone stay at Ku Resort

My husband and I are thinking of vacationing in Anguilla in January and are considering the Ku resort. Anyone stay there and have some insight for us?

Thanks - Lisa

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone stay at Ku Resort

Well, I really want to share what I think..I have not slept in the rooms but have seen the property from the outside..I love Shoal Bay East off season when it's quiet. ZaZaa Boutique on site is amazing. Gwens is nearby..great. Mayra, the bartender at Kuah is the best...the beach wow..the resort looks slightly tired to me...I defer to others to comment. I saw Serenity (had an inspection) up the road and would prefer that as it's away from the Winter crowds. Having said that, I prefer the West End for stay and East end to play...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone stay at Ku Resort

We (wife and I) stayed at Ku two years ago. The beach is wonderful, the service is great. I like how the previous post described the rooms as "tired." They took good care of us, and the room was spacious (I think they only have suites), but we were hoping for a little nicer accommodations inside. We were satisfied with our stay, but have chosen Frangipani for our stay this winter and are hoping for a bit of an upgrade.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong in Anguilla-- especially if you spend your time outside on the beach like we did!

Anguilla
Level Contributor
920 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone stay at Ku Resort

I agree with chakita. I expect Ku to be sold by April or so, and that it will not receive much maintenance until then, when it is expected to be closed for some months for upgrading -- and I expect much higher room rates.

Serenity is underrated. The rooms are beautiful, clean and well cared for, and are a few steps from the beach. Management and staff and friendly and accommodating and the restaurant has improved. That's where Islander sends friends who don't require $800 rooms.

Islander

Tallahassee, FL
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone stay at Ku Resort

Perhaps I am wrong bit I doubt you will get rooms at Ku now for a January 2010 stay. They book up way in advance (at least that was my experience). I too have heard about Ku being sold, so you may not be able to get rooms at all much longer. The resort is "tired" but not falling apart by any means. I was there approx 1 year ago. The rooms were very clean and they admit they are minimalist so we didn't expect luxury furnishings (but we don't require" $800 rooms" either ;) The staff was very friendly and accommodating. As others have said the beach is really incredible and there are enough places nearby (Gwen's, Zara's, Madeariman, Kuyah) to entertain you with great food. Everyone raves about Myra but I found her hard to talk to. I won't say unfriendly but her drinks were very grood. The bar could be arranged much better too. We rented a car from Ronnie Bryan (highly recommended too) and ventured out to all parts of the island.

Edited: 02 December 2009, 13:29
Davis, California
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone stay at Ku Resort

Thank you so much for all of the replies. I really appreciate it.

I took a look at Serenity and it does look really nice. Clean, pretty, right on the beach, and not that expensive! So maybe I will look into that.

But to be honest, after doing more research, we are leaning towards St Lucia now. But have not ruled out Anguilla just yet.

Thanks again!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone stay at Ku Resort

I heard this weekend from friends waiting to book at Ku for May 2010 that

they are now going to be open through August and are taking reservations.

Originally they were only taking bookings through April. I guess the sale

of Ku is moving at island time. Good news for all the guests that love to stay

there in the summer!

Greenwich CT
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone stay at Ku Resort

I personally love Ku. Was there in May and leave tomorrow for another trip there. Have stayed at other hotels on the island, but find Ku to be perfect. And as far as Myra goes, I think she is the best and no problem whatsoever having conversations whatsoever. Also Avis, who is one of the kindest people I have ever met. Even after staying at Cap and cuisinart several times, I love the laid back attitude of Ku, as well as the wonderful food by Deon!!

Cindy

Cinzia811@gmail.com

nyc
Level Contributor
76 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone stay at Ku Resort

We are returning to Ku this winter for our 5th stay. It is not a resort, but rather a small, very well maintained, all suite hotel. The beach is wonderful and not quite as isolated as Serenity. You dont pay luxury prices and that is not what you get. But it is staffed by wonderful people on the most beautiful part of the most beautiful beach. This side of the island tends to get nicer breezes, there is wonderful snorkeling right off the beach.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone stay at Ku Resort

Didn't stay there, but walked around the property 2 weeks ago. It is beautiful. Its a bit more upbeat part of the island. The restaurant...Deon's is great. Had lunch there. Old friend we knew from way back when works there now, and service was excellent. Other restaurants within walking distance also. The only beach on the island where they actually have someone selling stuff. But nothing like hawkers on other islands.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
851 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone stay at Ku Resort

We have stayed at the Ku twice-in June 2007 and June 2008 and found the accommodations to be fine. The rooms were always spotless and housekeeping very attentive. The Ku sits on Shoal Bay East, one of the Caribbean's best beaches. I would not hesitate to stay there again. I always recommend this to people who are looking for affordable, clean accommodations and who are not expecting luxury. Read the reviews on the Ku and you will find mixed. I consider myself quite picky and I love the place.

Get answers to your questions about Anguilla