We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TripReport 1/27-2/6/10, Part 2

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
TripReport 1/27-2/6/10, Part 2

Ok, here's the rest of the details from our trip.

Day 6> After driving to Crocus Bay the night before (DaVida), we decided on driving back this morning to see Little Bay. We thought we would look for the rope and maybe climb down, but didn't think about in being shaded in the morning. Not a big deal, but in order to get sun while on the sand, one would have to go during mid-day or later. We stopped and Gerard's and had breakfast-- those Danishes (Danes?) were great! We then drove to Savannah Bay and hung out for a while. We had the beach all to ourselves for a couple of hours and then wend to Palm Grove. We had been on our first trip to the island and had a good time finding my business card on the wall, looking for our names in the book, and remembering the last time we were there. I had the BBQ combo, and she had the crayfish (lobster not available). We both had rum punch. In my opinion these are the best rum punches on the island-- not sure if it's setting, the nutmeg on top, or that they're REALLY strong-- but they are the best. Drove back to Frangipani, and decided to get a pizza from UnAmore and stay in for the night (told you they were strong!)

Day7> Nothing too exciting this morning. Breakfast and lunch at Straw Hat, surrounded with a lot of lounging on the beach and in the water. Rashard did teach me how to sail a HobieCat in the afternoon.

We had signed up for the Dune Preserve's "Tea for Tuesday" during our crazy jam-session the previous Friday, so we headed to the Dune before dinner. It's advertised as 6-8, and we got there at 6 forgetting about island time. Only two other guests showed up (after hearing us talk about it at Frangipani earlier that day) , and Bankie played a set a little after 7. I'm not saying it wasn't worth the cover, but it was short and we still made our 8pm reservation at Veya, which was one of our favorites on the last trip. No disappointment this time either. Michelle had the lobster and I had a steak. Tried to get a drink at Elvis' after, but found out they're closed on Tuesdays. Ended up stopping in Ripples and had a blast. Met some cool people and turned a one drink plan drink into many.

Day 8> A little more sailing and Bernard tried to drown us while pulling us around Bay on a tube and the boat. Had lunch again at Straw Hat, and took Jan's recommendation and went to Luna Rosa for dinner. We didn't make it to Luna Rosa on the last trip, but am glad we did on this trip. Our host was one of the owners and was great. He was very warm, gave great recommendations, and made great food. I wish I would've asked his name. Anyway, based on his recommendations we split the gorgonzola gnocchi as an app-- wow! I had the lasagna special, while Michelle went with the shellfish pasta. His goatcheese, arugula salad was phenomenal too. We left and went to (surprise) the Dune to meet up with some people from Frangipani and to hear the music. As usual, Bankie was great and even dedicated a song to us-- the same one that Michelle had requested the night before!

Day9> More sun on the beach in the morning, then to Smokey's for lunch. We walked down to Blanchard's that night and had a nice dinner. Was very impressed to see one of our favorite Napa wines in their cellar-- I have never seen it in a restaurant. The food was good, but in my opinion not in Luna Rosa, Veya, or Barrell Stay's league.

Friday Day 10, Last day > More sun and a little bit of sailing in the morning. We made reservations each afternoon for the place we wanted to go that night and only ran into one problem- Jacala. We tried to go Wed night, but found out they were booked through the weekend. We decided to walk down to for lunch instead. The food was good, but it was very hot inside. We drank a bunch of water and wondered why they don't have ceiling fans to move some air on the inside.

We had previously decided to try many different restaurants and, on the last night, go to the one we liked the most. So, on Friday night, we went back to Luna Rosa. We sat in almost the same seat, talked with the same, cool NY couple, and had almost the same menu as Wednesday night. Once again-- a home run. We tried to go to the Dune one more time after dinner, but there was no music that night and we ended up at Elvis'. We had never been on a Friday to see the amount of people who go. We even saw Bankie and his bartenders later in the night-- so we had a drink with them.

We did everything we had set out to do. We got plenty of sun, many hours in the water, ate great food, met good people and had a wonderful trip..... that is until Saturday. We took Shauna to SXM on Saturday morning for a scheduled 2:30 flight. No probelms getting there, but United had issue after issue causing delay after delay. We were at the airport or on the plane until about 9pm. Then they bused us to a hotel (the Mercure on the French Side?) and back to the airport at 7am. After more delays and general dis-organization by United we took off about 10:30.

Home just in time for the Super Bowl and the 12 inches of snow that swept in on Tuesday.........already thinking about the next trip

Seaside
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TripReport 1/27-2/6/10, Part 2

Thanx 4 the report. Sounds like a good time. We have also had trouble at SXM, but have just had another beer and chalked it up to island time!

NEW YORK, NY
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TripReport 1/27-2/6/10, Part 2

Hawk-Another great report!!! Thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,424 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TripReport 1/27-2/6/10, Part 2

Wonderful report.

Isn't Luna Rosa great - sounds as if you were dealing with Sylvestro - what a great guy - just a real sweetie. We love it there - everything is always perfect, food, service and great setting.

Big drag about your return home, but at least you made it in time for the Super Bowl!

Thanks for the great reports and all your time.

Ellen

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
358 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TripReport 1/27-2/6/10, Part 2

What a GREAT vacation!

I loved reading all about it..thank you so much for sharing especially on this cold snow day!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,043 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TripReport 1/27-2/6/10, Part 2

Thamks for your fine reports.

As for that heat problem at Jacala, they are remedying that with ceiling fans. Those hard slatted seats are also going to get cushions on them very shortly as well. It will help a lot because the food is good but you don't want to drip while eating, do you?

birmingham, al
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TripReport 1/27-2/6/10, Part 2

Here's my situation.

We are there for 4 nights this summer and we have planned dinners to Picante, Pimms, and DaVida. We would love to go to Luna Rosa but we also need to do a cheaper dinner for our 4th choice.

Say we go to Luna Rosa and get a "lasagna special" and another pasta dish, and have a couple glasses of wine and say split a caesar salad. Can we get out of there for under $100?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: TripReport 1/27-2/6/10, Part 2

Sam,

Have you been to Sand Bar? You could easily do that on a budget.

birmingham, al
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TripReport 1/27-2/6/10, Part 2

No, haven't been to Sand bar.

I really want to go to Luna Rosa.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,424 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TripReport 1/27-2/6/10, Part 2

Sam, yes, I think you can. We each had a salad and an entre' plus 1 glass of wine and two Tanqueray martini's and the bill was 127.00. I took 1/2 mine home because it was too much. The prices at Luna Rosa are very reasonable.

Your idea of splitting the salad is a good one, they have big portions.

Luna Rosa is really great.

Ellen

birmingham, al
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TripReport 1/27-2/6/10, Part 2

Thanks.

Sounds like this is one not to miss...

Unfortunately, my Anguilla trips will be coming to a halt after this summer for a good while. I'm pretty sure the next several vacations will involve a guy named Mickey with big ears, grown ups in cartoon outfits, and hot concrete in land locked Orlando....

Anything for the kiddos.....