We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking over-the-top pampering

Anguilla
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Seeking over-the-top pampering

An opportunity to pay it forward...

We don't actually get to stay at the resorts, and we have some friends planning a trip who need some advice. Their question to us is:

"In semi-secret, I am casting around for a luxurious escape to which to carry ______’s frazzled remains (and mine) near the end of January or early February. Pure luxury, over the top, much pampering, wall-to-wall massages, you know the drill. We are hearing distressing things about the accommodations at Cap Juluca becoming a little (or very) tired – although everyone mentions the el primo beach.  For top dollar, we don’t want to have to close our eyes when we walk into the room.  What’s the local gossip?  Is Viceroy a better choice?"

What can those of you who have stayed at these lovely resorts tell us? Off the top, I would say, if you're looking for an Anguilla experience, stay at Cap Juluca of Cuisenart. If what you're looking for is more if a Santa Barbara experience, Viceroy is your choice. But of course we've never been guests at either, so any first-hand advice is limited.

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking over-the-top pampering

Oh Rainbow this is not easy as everyone has their own expectations. I would suggest they read Nori's posts on her blog --about Cap Juluca and Viceroy. Her blog shows great photos and interviews at these hotels.

I adore the beach and rooms at CJ, yes they need some improvements as Viceroy now has the edge on them. Cuisinart has a lot of fans, again a great hotel and less money than CJ and wow what a spa. But CJ wins

for me.

Edited: 23 November 2010, 16:47
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking over-the-top pampering

Cuisinart hands down. It is FANTASTIC. Please get a third floor room in any villa and you won't go wrong. We personally like villas 8-10 the best. It as lovely as you will ever find.

The Valley, Anguilla
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking over-the-top pampering

Having stayed at both in the past year...and living here...I'll give my two-cents worth.

BTW, I haven't stayed at Cuisinart so I'll leave that to someone who has.

Cap Juluca, to me, is more romantic. Sultry, relaxed, comfortable.

Viceroy is more swanky, more stylish and downright beautiful in its design.

I feel like a movie star who wants to be noticed at Viceroy and a movie star who wants to be left alone at Cap Juluca.

The bath tub for two at Cap holds fond memories, as does lounging on the beach with pistachio ice cream delivered as a surprise.

Watching the sun set at Viceroy over cocktails also holds very wonderful memories and Viceroy has my favorite pool on island.

The rooms are more stunning at Viceroy but the beach is stunning (er) at Cap.

Hope this helps.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking over-the-top pampering

How about Temeno's on Long Bay.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking over-the-top pampering

Sorry...I hit send to fast....I'm at work and paranoid that someone will see me on tripadvisor! lol

here's the link to temenos...I walked through last year and it was amazing. Long Bay is gorgeous too! Not sure what your price range is....this is way over my budget, but if I could afford it I'd definately give it a try.

http://www.temenosvillas.com/contact.html

Anguilla
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking over-the-top pampering

This is all wonderful! I know, I know how impossible it is make a decision for someone else, since what I may think is perfect may not be their idea of what they want. But I can pass this info on and let them make their own decision.

Lionfish, I think you've captured CJ and Viceroy perfectly with this statement::

"I feel like a movie star who wants to be noticed at Viceroy and a movie star who wants to be left alone at Cap Juluca."

Penny, what is Nori's blog called, or do you have the URL?

I cannot thank you all enough. Anyone else who wants to weigh in with their thoughts, please do!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,664 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking over-the-top pampering

I love that line about either feeling like a movie star wanting to be noticed or hiding away.

Yes the new sexy Viceroy has it all in the pampering department -- doesn't get any better than that -- as long as you are comfortable with a Dallas, Texas kind of sensational digs. The place has it all. All that is, but a stunning beach at its doorstep.

Then there is the also-pampering Cap Juluca, with some needed refurbishing but certainly never,EVER terrible to look at. Frankly, if no one ever mentioned it, you'd probably never know the difference. And that beach! Maundays Bay is gorgeous and most times very tranquil with sun glistening like jewels on the water.

But ain't it a shame ma'am, that no one ever includes the very classic, regal, charming and ultra private Malliouhana -- the third and very appealing of the once triumvirate of top resorts, as long as you opt for their most pampered digs that is, (the junior suites which overlook Turtle Cove). With Malli you not only have that beach practically all to yourselves but you have the exquisite, sometimes feisty, Mead's Bay beach which is their main beach with all the beach chairs lined up in a row like at CJ's, so you can people watch a bit.

Cuisinart (where I have never actually stayed but have seen all accommodations) is also a winner but more in a Miami Beach kind of vein to me, with an accent on being very warm and friendly to families with little children. Their gift boutique is awesome!

I finally, will put in a vote for the gorgeous Sheriva villa, which is defintely a pampered place with stunning views of Marigot in St. Martin and your own golf cart to take you 3 minutes away to Maunday's Bay so that you not only have perfect digs BUT Maunday's Bay in the bargain as well, plus your own private and very caring staff who cannot do enough for you.

From hors d'oeuvres and rum punch at 5 pm and premier breakfasts at your whim, to a jacuzzi, hot tub and own private pool, state-of-the-art his and hers showers with all the bells and whistles, your own gym, computer room, and other perks too numerous to mention -- all included in the rate.

Whatever your choice, these 4 top properties offer opulence and the pampering your friends are looking for.

The fun? Making the final choice.

Edited: 23 November 2010, 19:32
New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking over-the-top pampering

Lots of wonderful advice on this forum. I think you will enjoy the information on Nori's blog.

www.anguilla-beaches.com/

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking over-the-top pampering

I love Viceroy..am here now, my second trip..the staff make this perfect..the views are stellar..the rooms comfortable..and relaxing..the spa is over the top...

facebook.com/pages/…43269467011.

Edited: 23 November 2010, 21:52
Anguilla
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking over-the-top pampering

Thank you, Penny, for the link.

And thank you ALL for your much-appreciated input and helpful descriptions. Now *they* will have fun making *their* choice. The best would be to have them come down five different times to try all the properties...Cap Juluca, Viceroy, Cuisenart, Malliouhana, Temenos Villas, Sheriva Villas...heck, by then, Temenos-the-golf-course may be completed and who-knows-what-else!

We never could have given them these kinds of insights, so thank you. I will pass this on and let you know what they decide---and why. :-)