We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather report

Anguilla
Level Contributor
920 posts
Save Topic
Weather report

In violation of a suggestion that I personally verify all that I post, I pass on the following prediction. I quote:

Tuesday, December 28, 2010, 12:00 noon - Appears that Mother Nature will throw a little bit of everything at us the next few days – seas, wind, rain. First, forecasts call for some of the largest seas so far this season starting early Wed. through early Friday. High seas marine forecast calls for 9-11 foot NW swells, which means 12 - 15+ foot surf from the NW is possible on the north beaches. By Thursday, these seas could be life threatening for any bathers crazy enough to venture in the water. Add to this NE gusty winds of 20 – 25 mph with higher gusts later Wednesday and on Thursday, causing wind-driven spray and erosion. Finally, a frontal boundary approaching from the west will give us an increasing chance of showers – could be heavy at times, especially Thursday. Winds in excess of 30 mph are possible in passing squalls. By late Thursday, the south beaches can expect ground seas for several days as the system moves off to our SE.

The NWS has already issued a small craft advisory tonight through Friday evening, and the Meteorological Dept. in Curacao has issued a high surf advisory for St.. Martin’s north shore.

Summary – Wed. through Fri., expect very rough seas from the NW, gusty wind conditions from the NE, ground seas on the south beaches and an increasing chance of showers/rain.

(Information based on current forecasts/conditions – subject to change.)

Steve Donahue

www.anguilla-weather.com/

Anguilla, AI2640, B.W.I.

US Phone – 410-505-8661

Anguilla Phone – 264-497-8177

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather report

Islander, thank you for posting this report. I appreciate having the latest information as I have friends traveling to and away from the island in the next couple of days.

My best to you for a very happy, healthy and successful New Year.

AXA Beach Bum

21 days and counting

Anguilla
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather report

Do you ever post good news Islander??????????

Anguilla
Level Contributor
920 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather report

No, I pretty much leave that to "The Anguillian". Nat Hodge handles that admirably. I try to post stuff of interest to our visitors. While I welcome your disagreement with content, including this week's weather forecast from Steve, the next time you attack the messenger of news posted to this forum, I will reconsider my many years of silence about...uh...certain people.

I pray that you will have a prosperous and more tolerant New Year.

Islander

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather report

I surely hope that the new year allows us to be kinder and more tolerant of our fellow posters. It's been intense on this forum for a couple of months.

Happy New Year and peace to all!

One Love,

AXA Beach Bum

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather report

Happy New Year everyone, wherever you are enjoying (or not) this winter's crazy weather. Here in Toronto we seem to be in a little "bubble" and are relatively unaffected by the wild snow storms and bizarre rainy weather that is plaguing our neighbours to the south, west, east and north.

Islander, my friends who will soon be travelling to AXA for the first time, at my recommendation, are grateful for your report, as it is making all the difference in planning how they will transfer from SXM. They would be "some ticked" (as they say in rural Ontario) if the "tranquility" of the surrounding seas were over-stated and they encounter an unexpected rough crossing, or worse yet, if they find themselves stalled in SXM.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
763 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather report

Amen, AXA Beach Bum, Amen! Tis the season for peace on earth. I have enough drama elsewhere in life, don't need it to sully my favorite place.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather report

Well said Beach Bum.

Anguilla
Level Contributor
920 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather report

This morning's weather update from Steve Donahue. I quote:

Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 8:30 AM – Not much change from yesterday (see below), except the forecast for seas has them now slightly larger, and winds now forecast only in the low 20’s – still from the NE. Clouds and showers for today with possibly some sun Thursday as the system moves east. Small craft advisory now in effect through Sat. morning. Bathers should stay out of the water on the north-facing beaches – especially on Thursday. Barnes, Meads, Crocus, Limestone and Captains Bays will be especially hazardous. Should be some outstanding photo opportunities at Windward Point on Thursday.

(Information based on current forecasts/conditions – subject to change.)

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather report

Weather here in St Croix is miserable. Cloudy rainy windy and cold !!. Sweater and sweats weather. Probably the worst we've seen in three years. We normally get the same weather as AXA and it's supposed to last three more days. Feel sorry for the tourists and yes I know it's a lot worse in the states.

Port St Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather report

Thank you Islander.

Reporting from Barnes Bay, 29th December 1800 hrs local time

After a couple of scorching hot days and no wind yesterday morning, wind steadily increased from yesterday afternoon and throughout today. Sea is very rough. Quite a lot of sailboats leaving this morning.

Viceroy beach here on Barnes still has sand, but we were at Straw Hat 2 days ago and the Viceroy corner of Meads was just rocks (last week it was lots of sand) and they had their beachclub set up at the sales office. I feel for the visitors who paid $$$$$ , but Mother Nature rules...

Not up to date with the restaurants at Viceroy, but no chance of any Al fresco breakfast from what we could see thru our binoculars this morning. Our boys are reporting of a buzzing bar scene at night, regardless of the weather.

Off to Tasty's tonight, after eliminating our favourites on Barnes/Long Bay and Meads due to the high winds.

Edited: 29 December 2010, 22:12
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla