We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jacala

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
276 reviews
Save Topic
Jacala

Great Jacala review from Nori:

anguilla-beaches.com/jacala-anguilla-dining.…

It is one of our favorite restaurants, wonderful food and attentive service.

Ellen

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jacala

I agree. Beautiful setting, great food and service. It will be one of the first places I return to on my next trip.

East Coast
Level Contributor
263 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jacala

We were disappointed not be be able to try Jacala during the week between Christmas and New Year's. When we tried to book a few months in advance, the concierge at our villa was told that we had to wait until 5 days before the desired date, something we had never encountered in many years of visiting Anguilla. Upon arrival, we tried again, only to be told that Jacala reservations were unavailable. I subsequently heard from several locals that priority is given to guests at Malliouhana. While it is certainly Jacala's right to run the business as they see fit, this somewhat unwelcoming approach has put us off trying in the future.

NYC
Level Contributor
274 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Jacala

I had a similar experience in November...i always make reservations and the restaurant I really wanted to visit was closed...even tho their machine said they were open! Armed w/the excellent reviews, I decided to try Jacala...

I went in at 7 and asked if they could seat me...i was a party of one and said I would be happy to sit at bar and eat fast! The gentleman at the front of the house was firm... absolutely not...

I must admit I was taken aback at the attitude...something I had never encountered in all my years of visitng Anguilla..

I have friends who returned yesterday from 10 days at Turtles Nest...they also had a hard time reserving a table and finally gave up.

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jacala

We had a similar experience last February when we tried to gently ask if we could be seated without reservations. We were met with cold civility and told, like you, Chipsny, absolutely no. I was surprised too, especially because the restaurant was fairly empty. We ended up going back for lunch, which was amazing, but a bit pricey for us at over $100 for lunch for 2 (2 sandwiches and 2 drinks total). However, the best lobster sandwich I've ever had!

Good luck...hope this helps.

Uni

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jacala

I'm sorry to hear you had that experience. I am curious however, can you tell me what you think was in your lobster sandwhich? I'd like to try and create one.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jacala

Last April, we walked over the Jacala from Carimar a number of times for lunch without reservations and were warmly welcomed each time. The food and service was great! We have not tried it for dinner, so I have not experienced the reservation problem. I'll see what happens this April!

New York
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jacala

On our trip Dec 13-23, 2010, we returned to Jacala twice and were warmly welcomed and thoroughly enjoyed our meals and plan to dine there again in May.

We did, however stop by in person in the afternoon to make a reservation for the first dinner since we noted that they are closed on Tuesdays and Mondays in the off season.

Over the years, we have found that it is better to visit at the popular restaurants in person during our trips to the beaches and markets, rather than rely on the phone message systems.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jacala

I will chime in and say that I email before arrival and call when we arrive to confirm, and have never had a problem.

And, even though we stay next door, I always walk over or call during the day to make a res for that night. Jacques and Alain have always been more than welcoming to us.

It's one of my "do not miss".

Ellen

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
105 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jacala

I've seen both sides but will definitely say that it is worth the effort. Some of the best meals I've ever had.

The great news for them is that they're being recognized for their excellence and getting lots of business. The bad news is we have to work harder to , experience that excellence. It's totally worth it! A do not miss!

As a side note, I finally got around to going to Blanchards a couple of months ago (after my 15th visit to the island!) and found my meal to be utterly mediocre. Definitely not worth the money!

10. Re: Jacala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2012, 06:18