We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts/opinions on the outer islands - Scilly, Sandy's, PP

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts/opinions on the outer islands - Scilly, Sandy's, PP

We will be visiting Anguilla soon and I am looking for information, thoughts or opinions on visiting Scilly, Sandy's or Prickly Pear Islands.

When in the VIs, we have island-hopped for day trips (Jost, Cooper, Marina Cay, Saba Rock, etc.) and we are wondering about doing the same when on Anguilla.

I have read various blogs and trip reports and experiences seemed to be mixed from "I can't believe I paid $XXX to visit Island X, wasn't worth it" to "completely awesome!"

Is one better then another for lunch? Is the food worth the boat ride or is the boat ride the novelty that enhances the food?

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts/opinions on the outer islands - Scilly, Sandy's, PP

You could swim to Scilly from Island Harbour ~ but the 5 min. boat ride is free and in our opinion their grilled lobster, crayfish & chicken is the best!

Their pasta salad is very good too. Large portions that can be shared unless you are big eaters or really hungry.

We like Sandy and Prickley for different reasons, the boat ride to either is quite a bit longer and of course part of the over all experience, along with the views from them. The past few times we've been out to Sandy the food was good, haven't been out to Prickley for a few yrs so can't say how it is these days.

Caicos;-)

Edited: 02 February 2011, 21:10
St. Lucia
Level Contributor
294 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts/opinions on the outer islands - Scilly, Sandy's, PP

None of these spots are really anything like what you saw in the VI's, but are still plenty of fun.

Scilly Cay is only about a 1/4 mile off the main pier in Island Harbour. Stand on the pier and wave your arms and somebody will zip over in the little boat to get you, about a 3 minute ride. The only thing they serve in the restaurant is grilled lobster, grilled crayfish or grilled chicken, but the plates are as big as they are expensive. Also, the proprietor, a man known as Gorgeous, is a hoot.

Sandy Island is about two miles out from Sandy Ground and is a small, um, sandy island. There is a fun shack restaurant that serves seriously good food. Cheaper than Scilly Cay, but not really inexpensive. There is an interesting reef to snorkel on, although the coral isn't in very good shape. Lots of beach, chairs and umbrellas available too. Run by an extremely likable woman named Simone. Call her and she'll send her boat to pick you up at the Sandy Ground dock, a 10-15 minute trip: 476-6534. A favourite of my family.

Prickly Pear Cay is about 6 miles out of Sandy Ground. There are two restaurants on the island: one is a branch outpost of Johnno's that decided not to open this season; the other is run by a very nice man named Alan and his wife. They serve large plates of decent food at bargain rates by Anguilla standards. There is a lovely beach and probably the best snorkeling in Anguilla on the reefs just offshore. Alan doesn't provide transportation, so you'll have to hook up with one of the operators out of Sandy Ground. Others will recommend their favourites, or call Alan and ask for his advice on boats and when he's open (sometimes closed in early week or due to weather): 476-2436.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts/opinions on the outer islands - Scilly, Sandy's, PP

While Scilly is nice to see and maybe have a few drinks I would NEVER suggest anyone eating there unless your starving and want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for chicken or lobster that takes two hours! PLus the snorkeling around there isn't even close to other spots on island. Scilly by far is the number 1 tourist trap on the island. Sandy Island and Prickly pear are amazing! So beautiful, never over crowded, you won't be disappointed. Also if your more adventures there are some great spots over in SXM, Pinel Island is a small island with three bars and great food, famous for there banana rum, and Tintamare has natural mud which people rub on their skin, its supposed to have anti aging effects. Either way HAVE FUN.

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts/opinions on the outer islands - Scilly, Sandy's, PP

My favorite thing to do on Anguilla (and that is saying something!) is to go out on Captain Rollins Ruan's catamaran, Chocolat. You leave from Sandy Ground in the morning (around 9 I think if I remember right from last year), cruise to Prickly Pear Island for drinks and lunch, then stop at either Sandy Island for a bit or on Little Bay before heading back to Sandy Ground around 3:30 or 4. It's heaven...

Usually I make my reservations through the hotel, so I don't have his contact information. It's definitely something to look into though - it's awesome!

You could also go out with Nature Boy for an excursion or for fishing. Haven't done this one yet!

Enjoy any excursion you take!

Uni

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts/opinions on the outer islands - Scilly, Sandy's, PP

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
855 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts/opinions on the outer islands - Scilly, Sandy's, PP

On our first visit to Anguilla we hit all three and loved every one of them. On our second return we weren't as thrilled with Sandy Island or Scilly Cay and haven't visited either of them since 2007. We, however, have never had a bad experience on Prickly Pear and try to make two visits during our Anguilla vacations.

We have always used Garfield Richardson's services on his fleet of Gotcha boats. It's a short boat ride from Sandy Ground departing around 930am and returning around 3pm on Wed & Fridays. Last year it was $65 per person for roundtrip transportation and that includes lunch. If you are ordering lobster/crayfish there is an additional fee, I believe $15. I started a Facebook page dedicated to Allan and Sue's restaurant with a good number of pictures if you'd like to take a peek it might help you decide.

www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=184480817977

I honestly think everyone should visit all three at least once during an Anguilla visit.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts/opinions on the outer islands - Scilly, Sandy's, PP

This is a no brainer IMHO... without a doubt, Prickly Pear! Really good snorkeling, pristine white sand beaches, clear turquoise seas and you can have your Anguillian Spiney Lobster for a lot less than Scilly Cay. Once upon a time Scilly Cay was a unique and special Sunday lyme for locals and tourists. That was before Brad, Jen, Courtney and David dined there. As someone who went to school in Bermuda and lived in St. Lucia, it's deteriorated into a ghost of what it used to be and become sadly, just a tourist trap. The last time I was there we waited almost 2 hours for lobster after being told at first they didn't have any due to a party the night before. The time before that they served our drinks without cleaning the refuse left by previous dinners. Ohh for the Sandra and Eudoxie of old who greeted and treated everyone like they were celebrities because they appreciated your business.

Since you've been to Jost Van Dyke think of the diffference between Foxxy's vs Sidney's Peace and Love and their honor bar. Got it...?

Edited: 04 February 2011, 04:07
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts/opinions on the outer islands - Scilly, Sandy's, PP

Since you've been to Jost Van Dyke think of the diffference between Foxxy's vs Sidney's Peace and Love and their honor bar. Got it...?

Ha! Yeah, I got it!

I like the ideal of snorkelling during this excursion, should we go.

9. Re: Thoughts/opinions on the outer islands - Scilly, Sandy's, PP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2012, 05:17