We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

48 hours-better to stay in St. Martin or Ferry to Anguilla

Los Angeles
5 posts
Save Topic
48 hours-better to stay in St. Martin or Ferry to Anguilla

I am flying into St. Martin 2 days in advance of heading over to St. Barts. I've spent a couple of days in St. Martin before and would like to see Anguilla if my "window" isn't too short to justify heading over there.

Any recommendations/info. on whether I could ferry to Anguilla & then fly or ferry to St. Barts directly from there? Or would I have to head back to SMX before flying to St. Barts?

Also, I am trying to minimize my out-of-pocket, so if you have any recommendations for hotels that might take "points'/part of chains that are decent in Anguilla?

Thank you!

Level Contributor
351 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 48 hours-better to stay in St. Martin or Ferry to Anguilla

Not sure if any hotel on the island qualifies as part of a chain with the exception of the Viceroy. No Hiltons, Starwood, or Ritz. Check with Amex to see if their membership points are usable at an Anguillan hotel. Or see if there's something available on an internet auction. For me, the biggest headache of SXM-AXA is the in-out-in of customs. If you're staying near Marigot, then it makes sense to hop the ferry to Blowing Point and at least stay for the day.

Anguilla has a completely different vibe from SXM. No gambling, no shopping, no discos (except for beach bars). If that's how you like to relax, I wouldn't plan to spend more than a day on AXA. The beaches are much more beautiful and empty than on St. Martin. If you prefer a very low-key vacation, then you might find it too hard to return to SXM, but at least you'll know where to vacation next year.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 48 hours-better to stay in St. Martin or Ferry to Anguilla

Try staying 1 night at Ferryboat Inn. You MUST spend at least 1 day in Anguilla.

You'll thank me!

:-)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 48 hours-better to stay in St. Martin or Ferry to Anguilla

I agree with Pepper as I always do. Could not think of a better idea!

Los Angeles
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 48 hours-better to stay in St. Martin or Ferry to Anguilla

Thanks so much for the good info. and your enthusiasm for Anguilla. I'm very excited & will definitely plan to ferry over to the island and spend 2 nights.

I'm traveling solo for these 2 days, and definitely want to relax, so if you have any areas that you would recommend for hotels that would be great. I don't really want to rent a car if I can avoid it - but it would be nice to be able to walk into a town or shopping area if that's available. Other than that I will be reading & relaxing on the beach!

Lastly, do you know if I can get to St. Barts from Anguilla directly, or if I have to go back through St. Martin? Would love to be able to ferry or fly directly from there...

:)

Texas
Level Contributor
372 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 48 hours-better to stay in St. Martin or Ferry to Anguilla

If you stay at the Ferryboat Inn, you can easily walk to the Inn from Blowing Point (the ferry terminal). In addition, Ashley's is a grocery store at Blowing Point that is also in easy walking distance from the Ferryboat Inn.

Having said that, I would rent a car. Its not expensive and its very easy to get around the island. Would be hard to get lost and the traffic is not bad at all (one of the few islands I would even suggest renting). This would allow you to get out to the great beaches and see the sights. While Ferryboat has a beach.......its not anywhere near the top beaches on the island. Ronnie Bryan would leave the car at the Ferryboat or at Blowing Point (whichevre you prefer) and you can leave the car at the Ferryboat or the ferry terminal when you leave and he will pick it up. So its painless.

Ferryboat's restaurant is very good. The owner and her son are great people. Wed. night is wing night and it has a great crowd. Their burgers are also very good. Prices are very reasonable for AXA. They are closed one or two nights a week (Sun and/or Monday) I dont remember which.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 48 hours-better to stay in St. Martin or Ferry to Anguilla

It's only 2 nights were are talking about here so I think renting a car is not really necessary.

If you want walking distance to restaurants, you might want to check out inexpensive Nathan's Cove on Meads Bay which has enough restaurants at decent rates, and you have the benefit of one of the most gorgeous beaches in Anguilla.

So now you have 2 choices that seem appropriate for you.

As for getting to St. Barths, I am pretty sure that you have to return to St. Maarten to get there (but I may be wrong).

(Lovethesungal - - wink, wink!)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 48 hours-better to stay in St. Martin or Ferry to Anguilla

samstevens, I'm a bit confused by some of the information in your post. Granted, we're first time visitors to Anguilla, but I'm under the impression that car rental agencies are prohibited by law from delivering vehicles to the ferry terminal(s) or to the airport. Am I mistaken?

Texas
Level Contributor
372 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 48 hours-better to stay in St. Martin or Ferry to Anguilla

I have seen numerous posts that leaving rental cars at the ferry terminal is not permitted. I have heard others say that is not the case. I can confirm from personal experience as recently as January 2011, I have picked up my rental car from the parking lot of the Blowing Point ferry terminal.

Los Angeles
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 48 hours-better to stay in St. Martin or Ferry to Anguilla

This is all great information. I couldn't be more excited to plan out the details for my upcoming trip in just 5 weeks! Thanks everyone!!

10. Re: 48 hours-better to stay in St. Martin or Ferry to Anguilla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla