We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Dogs?

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Topic
Island Dogs?

Hi All!

It seems like there were a large amount of dogs wandering on the island when we were there last week. There were a group of maybe 5-8 near Christine's on the West End, and of course there was the little gorgeous black puppy who was in Pumphouse that night.

Does anyone know if they were ultimately able to catch the black puppy with the star on her chest?

Also, is the AARF able to round up the groups of dogs? How do they know which dogs are pets and which are in need of homes? I've gone to the AARF website and have printed the membership form. Aside from sending money, is it possible to volunteer at the shelter when Dragon and I are next on vacation? Not sure if they'll let us volunteer for a day or 2 while we're on island - it's only once a year - but I really, really, really want to help!

Thanks all!

Uni the dog lover

St. Lucia
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Dogs?

The puppy belongs to a conch fisherman and his family who live across the street from the Pumphouse. Her name is, appropriately, Star. The same family has another dog named Sunshine. They also have a young daughter whom patrons of Elvis' may know named Genius.

Anguilla
Level Contributor
920 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Dogs?

AARF gratefully welcomes volunteers, short-term or otherwise. Email them for details.

Islander

Palm Beach Gardens
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Dogs?

As an AARF shelter volunteer and board member, I welcome your questions and comments. :

There is no way to know what animals have owners and which do not -

AARF is not authorized to pick up dogs or cats, either owned or strays.

All reports of animal concern should be given to the Department of Agriculture - Dr Patrick Vanterpool or Dwight. 497-2615. We wish there was some sort of animal control, but in the meantime, with our limited shelter volunteer pool and financial resources, we're doing the best we can to care for the animals that are brought to the shelter.

"Star", the black puppy hanging around Sandy Ground, was brought to the shelter on Monday by one of our local volunteers and spayed. The conch fisherman (not original owner, but "Star" followed his dog home and so has taken up residence with her) has agreed to feed her now that she has been fixed.

Yes it is possible to volunteer at the shelter - we welcome anyone of at least 14 years of age who's willing to spare their precious vacation time to assist us!

It would wonderful if we could fund an island-wide spay and neuter program. Financial support is always welcome!

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Dogs?

Thanks, everyone! Great to know. I am ready to volunteer next year while we're there.

I am so glad that Star has a home and is now spayed. I wanted so badly to bring her home! :-)

I wish there were a way to know if they were stray or not. Does Anguilla have a dog registration or licensing system? If not, has anyone tried to start one? I should probably be directing these questions to the AARF, I know!

Thanks again everyone for your help; I've been thinking about Star and am so glad she's doing well.

Uni

Anguilla
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Dogs?

Dear "STLGirlatHeart":

My wife and I are longtime members and regular donors to AARF.

At our request, our veterinarian in the US has previously volunteered his services to spay/neuter as many AXA dogs and cats that are currently in need of this procedure, in a one week time period. Our vet only expected that a clinic facility and all required equipment, supplies and medications would be provided.

In return for these free veterinary services, our vet also asked to be reimbursed for roundtrip coach airfare and receive a modest stipend for per diem food and lodging expenses.

I should add that our vet provides these same complimentary services on a periodic basis to indigent pet owners throughout the five boroughs of New York City.

This kind offer was immediately rejected by Dr. Vanterpool.

Has there been a recent reversal of Anguillian governmental bureaucracy and political red tape? If so, I'm quite certain that our vet would still be available. Please let me know (via PM) if AARF, Dr. Vanterpool and the Anguillian government are now interested, and I will make the necessary arrangements. Zabar

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,689 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Dogs?

Sounds as if the Island needs an education program, big posters, word of mouth, teach everyone to spay and neuter their animals, that would go a long way.

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Island Dogs?

I would LOVE to help in any way that I can. Zabar, thank you so much for that info. I'm curious to see if that rejection has changed to acceptance.

As an avid ASPCA member, I really believe that "we are their voice."

Thanks again, all.

Uni

Palm Beach Gardens
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island Dogs?

Zabar - We do appreciate the offer of free veterinary services for spay and neuter surgery, however, currently the veterinary clinic is managed by a veterinarian that does spay and neuter surgery daily.

The issue here is not free veterinary service, but financial support to put together an effective island-wide voucher program that would be available to those in need that request free spay and neuter surgeries for their pets. Ideally, we would like to focus on one village at a time, canvassing the area with information and certificates that give the owner of the pet the control to make the appointment and bring the dog or cat in for surgery when it was convenient for him - thus insuring that he will indeed show up for the appointment.

AARF currently provides free spay/neuter surgery to all AARF adoptions and limited numbers of others in need. The need is and always has been, even when Dr Vanterpool was heading the clinic, having the resources to pay for the surgeries which include the supplies and medications needed, not having a veterinarian to do it.

Ellen - Since the inception of AARF 10 years ago, educational programs have been presented yearly in all the schools and information on these programs is available on our website at www.aarf.ai .

AARF volunteers tirelessly work to educate the public with posters, newspapers articles, fliers and many hours of their retirement time at various public venues getting the word out of the importance of spay and neutering.

We are proud of our accomplishments but certainly recognize that there is much more to be done. Your financial contributions will go a long way in assisting us with our spay/neuter program as well as our education programs. If you can help please send your donations. If need be, send me a PM and I'll give you my Anguilla address.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island Dogs?

Hi STLGirlatHeart

My wife and I are members and supporters of AARF as well as active volunteers at our local Humane Society here in NH. I know that any donation is put to good use by AARF, but could you tell us what your specific needs are? For example, what would it take fully cover all spay and nueter surgery required island wide for one year?

It's my thought that if we knew the actual scope of your need, all of us might be willing to adjust our donations in response. Thanks!

Anguilla
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island Dogs?

And.... just in case a reader or contributor is interested in having an Anguillian houseguest on a 24/7 basis, just take a peek at these adorable candidates. Zabar

http://www.aarf.ai/available.shtml