We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To insure or not to insure... that is the question?

Anguilla
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
To insure or not to insure... that is the question?

I will preface this posting by mentioning that I am not an insurance agent nor am I fond of spending my money on insurance premiums. However, that being said, there are times when and places where insurance is a very good thing to have for your protection and peace of mind, and, Anguilla is one of those places.

I prefer to use an American Express (AMEX) credit card on Anguilla. Although there is an annual membership fee for the use of the AMEX card, I have found that it is still a fabulous value for the services that are offered to members, as compared to the services offered by Visa, Mastercard, et al.

In using an AMEX card for payment, if a member ever reports a problem and disputes a transaction with any online vendor, or any other business establishment anywhere in the world, AMEX immediately puts your payment to the vendor on “hold” and provides a temporary credit to your account until such time as the dispute has been resolved in your favor, and then the credit becomes permanent. I have successfully used this AMEX service countless numbers of times, for purchases made all over the planet.

If you purchase anything on Anguilla (or any place else for that matter) with your AMEX card, and, the article is lost, accidentally damaged or stolen within 90 days, AMEX will reimburse you for the cost of the article, up to $1,000 - per occurrence.

For those Forum readers who choose to use any Anguilla car rental agency that does NOT include the cost of auto collision insurance in their daily rental rate, AMEX has a set charge of $24.95 per rental for “gold” card members, including up to 42 consecutive days of collision coverage. If you take a look at the daily rate for collision insurance (usually $5 to $7) that is charged by most AXA car rental agencies (excepting Ronnie Bryan’s weekly car rental rates), the AMEX coverage (as cheap as 59 cents per day) is a definite bargain.

There are several other forms of travel insurance that are available from American Express, including coverage for trip interruption, flight cancellation, lost baggage, inclement weather, etc.

Having visited Anguilla for 24 consecutive years, my wife and I are both quite familiar with the very modest and limited medical facilities that are available on Anguilla. Although our beloved Anguilla is truly a paradise, it is also a place where you do not want to require medical treatment for anything other than sunburn or a sprained ankle. Consequently, we are enrolled in a rather unique and superior “medical evacuation” program. Every mature traveler or anyone who has serious health issues should consider this insurance for any Anguilla vacation. The cost of coverage (with no pre-existing condition limitations) is a mere $95 for a single member for a 7 day vacation, and, only $250 for an annual single membership. There are several unique features to the coverage offered; including transport by a private jet that is staffed with two medical personnel and two pilots, door to door ambulance service, and, the ability of 1 family member to accompany the afflicted person at no additional charge. And here’s the best and most important feature; the jet and ambulance transportation is to any hospital of YOUR CHOICE (anywhere in the United States), and, NOT to the nearest hospital (such as Puerto Rico) that is equipped to handle your medical condition. If anyone is interested in obtaining further information, the web address for the company that we prefer is http://www.medjetassist.com

Switching gears a bit, I’m guessing that many readers and contributors to this Forum are senior citizens and therefore are also Medicare recipients. I recently learned that AARP charges all of its members double (I did say double) the cost for supplemental Medicare insurance coverage, and, no matter which supplemental “plan” you have chosen with AARP, the coverage offered by AARP must be and is “identical” to the coverage offered by all of AARP’s competitors (to any Medicare eligible resident of any State), and this is mandated by Federal law. That means that the only difference is the extra premium cost that you are paying to AARP for identical coverage. I must admit that I was really pissed off when I learned about these circumstances. The web address for the company that charges 50% less than AARP is www.bankers.com/products-medsupplanding.aspx

Somehow, I digressed from insurance matters that are related to Anguilla travel, but I hope that this ancillary information proves to be valuable and enlightening to the Forum readership. Zabar

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
East Longmeadow...
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To insure or not to insure... that is the question?

Good info, Zabar1, speaking of AARP, do any car rental operations offer the discount for members on AXA?

Anguilla
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To insure or not to insure... that is the question?

I really don't know the answer to your question "Shooter", although I wouldn't be surprised if the AVIS agency on Anguilla did have a global affiliation with AARP.

Please note that some of AVIS's rates are higher than competitors on Anguilla.

http://www.avisanguilla.com/home.

In addition, many people do not realize that they can negotiate a 10% discount for paying "cash" to a car rental agency. Of course, "cash" will negate any opportunity to pay a reduced rate for collision insurance by charging the car rental on an AMEX card. Z

NEW YORK, NY
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To insure or not to insure... that is the question?

Z, when we went on March 08, we went through the usual process of calling both amex and citibank aadvantage cards. Citi did something that they never did before, which was they gave us a code number which would verify that we indeed made the specific purchase.

Citi said that they might respond to the vendor with the request for this special code #. It never happened because we brought enough cash to pay for dinners and expenses--however used the card at TT for lunch because I didn't bring enough cash because we were going to stay at the beach. They never requested the number.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To insure or not to insure... that is the question?

Interesting article about car rentals:

http://www.denverpost.com/travel/ci_8625501

Ellen

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: To insure or not to insure... that is the question?

Z~ thanks for posting regarding the health insurance via Medjet Assist. We've taken an annual policy with them since 2008 and are very satisfied. In fact, we won't be without it as it covers you no matter where you are as long as your 150 miles from home. Our beach home is 154 miles from our home base so we're covered there.

I wish I'd had it in 2007 when I was hospitalized here in Anguilla! Oh, by the way, we're not older folks - health issues and/or accidents can happen to anyone ~ anywhere.

AXA Beach Bum

live from North Hill

Glen Mills...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To insure or not to insure... that is the question?

Thanks Zabar, this is a very interesting thread and I will certainly bring it to Mr.d's attention as it sounds like something we could use for our long term stay in the Bahamas.

Ellen, that car rental post was eye opening as well. We thought we were covered with our insurance and MC but apparently not. Thanks too.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To insure or not to insure... that is the question?

Looked into Medjet after reading about it on the other Anguilla forum yesterday. The only hiccup in the fine print that gave me pause was that you have to be "inpatient" transferring to "inpatient" care. It seems like the majority of illness and injuries would not be major accidents and would therefore be considered outpatient by US standards on return since so many minor surgeries are done on an outpatient basis these days. Does anyone know how strict the insurance policy is in their definitions here and if there are any comparable companies that offer similar service but without requiring strict inpatient status?

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: To insure or not to insure... that is the question?

Hertz, Avis and Budget do not give an AARP discount on St Croix Doubt if any car rental agencies give a discount on AXA. For those of you who know Ms. B ask her to tell you the story of the time she fell off the kitchen counter and broke her hip. Real horror story.

NEW YORK, NY
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To insure or not to insure... that is the question?

Howard , Ms. B from Oliver's ?

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: To insure or not to insure... that is the question?

yes that Ms B