We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visitors - Some Simple Questions...

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
194 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Visitors - Some Simple Questions...

Hello all!

My wife and I have our first trip to Anguilla coming up quickly now and I could use a few pointers. Hope some of you might be able to share your insight!

First, we're going to be arriving mid-afternoon on Saturday May 7th. When we visited Barbados a couple years ago we happened to be arriving on National Heroes day in that country. This left us scavenging a bit for resources since we were self catering. We ended up resorting to picking up snacks and drinks at a petrol station to get us through day one.

We're self catering in Anguilla so my two part question is, should we expect any issues around 4:00 Saturday May 7th as we attempt to stock our condo when we arrive?

Secondly, can you suggest somewhere we should go relatively near the Turtles' Nest Condos or the Meads Bay area in general? We'll have a rental vehicle awaiting our arrival but after a long flight to St Maarten and a ride to our condo any time saved by knowing where to go ahead of time would be a great help!

Also, concerning that taxi ride to our condo, should we expect that our driver will accept American dollars? Or should I be prepared with some local currency on hand before we arrive?

Thanks a ton! I'm sure you'll hear more from us as these last couple weeks roll by!

Texas
Level Contributor
372 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visitors - Some Simple Questions...

While Eastern Caribbean Dollars is the official currency in AXA......USD are accepted to the same extent as ECD. The exchange rate is fixed between USD and ECD. Most restaurants price in USD and if paying via credit card, you will find that the currency is USD. Gas stations accept USD (no credit cards). The prices in grocery stores are generally ECD but the cashier will do the exchange into USD at check out. SO as long as you have USD....you are good to go. You may get change back in ECD in some places (ie grocery stores).

Foods 95 is very close to TN and you can get the basics there. I would suggest that if you are going to be cooking yourself.......head into The Valley and go to either Proctors or Lakes for your real shopping. Some people also really like Best Buy (not related to the US chain). These three stores have full selections of veggies, fruits, meats etc. Just don't expect the same variety of choices as you are accustomed to in the US.

Enjoy your trip!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visitors - Some Simple Questions...

If you want a close restaurant to walk to from TN on your first night, either take some steps down the beach to Jacala or else to Straw Hat next door to Frangipani. Both are within easy walking distance.

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Visitors - Some Simple Questions...

If you want to eat in your first night I would go to B&D Bbque and do take out. Make a left going out from TN, go past Carimar and up the hill past Malli and B&D is on the right. They have chicken and ribs with sides. About 100 yds ahead on the left is a sign C Fleming which is a small store. Christine has a little of this and a little of that but enough till you can go to a store in the Valley the next day. If you want to eat out recommend Straw Hat about a 2 min walk.

The next morning I would get in the car and go to Gerauds for breakfast and get some pastries to take back to TN with you. On the Main road look for UN Amore on the right. Gerauds is just past that on the right. If you go to Lakes Grocery in the Valley stop by Fat Cat Gourmet ( right across the parking lot) and check it out. Have all kinds of take out and the Crab Quiche is very good _$20. If you don't want to cook Un Amore is Italian and delivers to TN. Take out from Hungrys Van in the Valley next to Valley Bistro is also very good. He is normally there around lunch time. We will be at TN for our 5th time in June. Very nice accomodations. Enjoy

Anguilla
Level Contributor
920 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Visitors - Some Simple Questions...

Expecting a stranger to choose between Jacala, Straw Hat and B&D without knowing if they want to spend $20 or $200 may cause confusion, especially after spending $28 plus tip just to get to their hotel.

Sending them to Lake's, Fat Cat and Hungry's on Sunday morning may not work so good either. Ashley's is open on Sundays from 7:30 to 1.

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Visitors - Some Simple Questions...

I didn't mean to infer that they should go to Fat Cat and Hungrys on Sun. Just trying to suggest some places for good food to eat in if you don't feel like cooking. Since they are self catering suspect they want to save on the cost of food. Yes Jacala is probably the most exepnsive of the three and I doubt you would get seated on a Sat without a prior reservation. Straw Hat is nice and would be where I would go for a splurge dinner.. Corner Bar in North Hill has very good pizza and I would also consider take out from Pedros Restaurant and Juice Bar

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Visitors - Some Simple Questions...

We stayed off Meads Bay in February and for our first night dinner, we ate at Picante, which was a short (less than 5 min) drive.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time Visitors - Some Simple Questions...

Simple answer to one of your simple questions:

As long as you are only going to be doing self-catering, your best bet, being that you will have a car waiting for you, would be to go directly to Foods 95 and stock up. It is very close by.

Hope this answers one of your questions.

Edited: 05 April 2011, 15:08
Level Contributor
351 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time Visitors - Some Simple Questions...

After the schlep from SXM and through customs (a couple of times), I would stop at Food 95 before checking into TN and then head to Straw Hat for dinner. It's about 30 second walk down the beach. I always reserve my first night's dinner, just so that everything runs smoothly. Also, give a call to the office at TN, I seem to recall that they once stocked our fridge in advance (but that may have been another apt. on another island) with basics.

9. Re: First Time Visitors - Some Simple Questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 13:19