We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Lucia to Anguilla

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
St Lucia to Anguilla

Hi,

We will be travelling from St Lucia to Anguilla in late November, staying at Cap Juluca. We have a choice of either taking connecting LIAT flights ie SLU-ANU-AXA, or a non-stop LIAT flight from SLU-SXM then getting a public/shuttle ferry across to Anguilla.

I prefer the idea of flights only, avoiding the ferry crossing and its hassles, but am a bit concerned about LIAT's on-time performance, especially relying on a connecting flight with luggage. There is 1h 25min between flights in Antigua.

Price is similar either way. What would you recommend?

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Lucia to Anguilla

IMHO your best bet would be the direct (non stop flight ) to SXM, then take the ferry across. The Liat flight 310 departs SLU at 8.05am and arrives in SXM at 9.30am, you could be in AXA by 11.00am at the latest, taking the Antigua route is a waste of a whole day. However remember Liat does not have the best time keeping record !!!!!

Regards

Mark

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St Lucia to Anguilla

Thanks for your message, Mark.

What ferry would you recommend we take? I notice the Funtime ferry only has sailings in the afternoon. Are there other 'private' shuttles that go in the morning from near SXM, or should we just get a taxi to Marigot and get the public ferry?

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Lucia to Anguilla

From my limited personal experience with LIAT, I agree with Mark 100%. Fly direct into SXM and take the ferry. Otherwise, there's a huge chance that you'll arrive and your bags will be on the tarmac or on another island. We prefer the public ferry which runs every 40-45 minutes from Marigot. However, there are a number of private ferries that run from the airport area. Shauna, Funtime, GB Express, Link, etc.

Enjoy paradise.

AXA Beach Bum

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St Lucia to Anguilla

The LIAT airline doesn't always live up to its mission statement; "Leave Island Any Time". We used them years ago when we went to St. Lucia without issue, however, a couple flying with us had luggage that inadvertantly ended up in Barbados.

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Lucia to Anguilla

While I've never personally had an issue with flight delays or lost bags with LIAT, their reputation does precede them, I'm afraid. I'd definitely opt for the nonstop SLU-SXm (or UVF-SXM) to maximize your time on Anguilla.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St Lucia to Anguilla

LIAT or no "LIAT", avoiding transfers is always a good thing, as every transfer is an opportunity for your incoming flight the be delayed, the plane you are transferring to to "go technical", for bags to go astray, and many other travel delights...

And that is not even counting the time the transfer takes!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St Lucia to Anguilla

Thanks for all your messages. We have booked the non-stop SLU-SXM flight, and will then either catch the public ferry or see if we can nab a spot on one of the private shuttles at 10.15am if we are out of the airport in time.

8. Re: St Lucia to Anguilla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 00:19