We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worlds 50 Best Beach Bars

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Worlds 50 Best Beach Bars

Saw this on CNN GO about the worlds top 50 beach bars.

cnngo.com/explorations/…

The Dune Preserve came in at #1

Southwick...
Level Contributor
322 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worlds 50 Best Beach Bars

The Dune is the only one that I have been to.....how depressing!

How can they have omitted the Soggy Dollar and Foxy's on JVD??

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worlds 50 Best Beach Bars

Only one I've been to is Da Conch Shack in Turks and Caicos. Did a day trip from St Maarten to Anguilla in May and did Gwens. Wish I had known about the Dune Preserve. But we have a weeks trip to Anguilla on the radar possible in May.

Anguilla
Level Contributor
441 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Worlds 50 Best Beach Bars

So others won't have to hunt through all 50 to get to the only Anguilla winner, here's what they say:

1. Dune Preserve Beach Bar, Anguilla, B.W.I.

Good beach bars make you think of retiring. Great ones make you actually retire. Tell Demaria and Sohal we're not coming back.

Pieced together from driftwood, wrecked racing boats and seashells and owned by a gray-bearded, grizzly reggae singer, the Dune Preserve Beach Bar is the kind of place you dream of discovering on your first trip to the Caribbean.

And once you have, you dream of staying there forever, to revel in your addiction to jumpin’ reggae tracks and dripping ribs, and to argue politics, philosophy and the ingredients for the perfect rum punch with Bankie, the owner, who can be found at the bar often.

It counts ex-presidents, former pirates and Wall Street bigwigs among its fans, but don’t let them distract you from the real reason this place is the best beach bar in the world –- the amazingly affable Bankie Banx and his cohort, who seem to talk in musical lyrics and will teach you not just how to build a boat, but how to build a lifestyle few would turn down.

It’s a daytime place open 11 a.m. till sunset.

The Dune Preserve, The Valley, Anguilla, BWI, Anguilla B.W.I; www.bankiebanks.net

------ ends ------

It's not a daytime place and doesn't close at sunset, but I agree it's the best beach bar in the world, and that it's Bankie who makes it so.

So who are the real "lifestyle experts" -- the slow motion Bankie, or the frenetic Blanchards?

IslandBoy

rockville centre, ny
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worlds 50 Best Beach Bars

Congrats to Bankie...you deserve this!

See you in November!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worlds 50 Best Beach Bars

I have been to a few on the list, including the Dune Preserve, and also some great ones not on the list but Dune Preserve # 1???? No way!

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Worlds 50 Best Beach Bars

Don't know what criteria was used in establishing the top 50 but I would rank Gwens, Smokeys and Elvis' ahead of Dune Preserve.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
364 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worlds 50 Best Beach Bars

I've been to many iterations of the Dune, as storms have resulted in various re-modeling projects. I've also experienced the full Bankie spectrum - from someone fast asleep on a bench for hours to a cheerful host. The location has always been superb, and I'm glad he's got good support now (far better than when he mixed rum punches himself).

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worlds 50 Best Beach Bars

I have been twice over the years. Both times we it was lousy. Once they had no beer and said that rum punch was all they had as they were saving beer for Moonsplash which was a few days away. The second time they made us feel like we were making them stay open. Far from number 1 but the location can't be beat. Will try again this winter.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Worlds 50 Best Beach Bars

I would agree - the omission of Soggy Dollar calls this whole list into question!

Anguilla
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worlds 50 Best Beach Bars

I'm with Howard C on this one.