We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reporting Live from Cap Juluca

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
493 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Reporting Live from Cap Juluca

Hi Everyone!

I'm happily writing from the Cap Juluca library!

I know there were some recent questions about the state of the beaches so I wanted to give everyone a quick answer...and I haven't seen a speck of seaweed anywhere. The bay here is as pristine as the photos on the website. So for the person who was thinking about canceling their trip here due to seaweed, definitely no need!

We had an uneventful flight over from Los Angeles- a red eye to Miami and then a quick hop down to St. Maarten. We used Funtime on the way over without a hitch and were checking in here at about 3pm.

I had posted before about my specific room requests here at CJ (I had wanted a room with glass doors opening onto the balcony and not just the wooden ones because of mosquito concerns) and we were given just what we asked for.

We are in Villa 5, a good location in my opinion, not too far from the main house and not next door to Blue. However, it seems that isn't much of a concern because Blue is closed! I guess they are sprucing it up for the high season. It will be used for a wedding on Saturday but other than that we have to get our meals at Spice. Its no great hardship but I felt maybe it should have been mentioned? Oh well!

Anyway upon arrival in the room I told my husband about the recent posts about "tired" rooms and complaints that they needed repair. So we made a game of it- before unpacking we ran around and tried to find something to complain about. I checked out the bathroom- all the fixtures are nice, no cracked marble to be seen, no rust, lights are all great. We went around the room- love the glass doors, the bed is amazing, new cushions on the sofa and outside on the patio. . .honestly we couldn't find a single thing! So maybe we have a redone room but I can't imagine anyone complaining about our room- and trust me we looked! I'll post more in my "official" trip report but just had to share!

Last night we had a delicious dinner of tapas at Sandbar- the fries are the best- followed by a walk to Elvis' for rum punch, and then a rather bad choice (due to my pounding head this morning) to finish with wine at the wine bar here Flights. It was a perfect first evening!

Now we are having a lazy beach day and dinner at Veya.

Thanks so much to everyone who answered all my questions before the trip! I'll toast a rum punch to you all later today (after my head recovers). :)

Edited: 21 October 2011, 14:22
New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reporting Live from Cap Juluca

Love your on site reporting--and I have sat there many times. Bummer Blue is closed--but that has happened to us a few times post hurricanes, and we got to adore sitting by the water at Spice, normally not opened at Lunch--so enjoy! I Flights is one of my favorites. Thanks for posting! Oh are the raffs in the water?

Edited: 21 October 2011, 14:30
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,581 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reporting Live from Cap Juluca

Thanks for the post - everything sounds wonderful.

Love the fries at Sandbar - batter coated - not many calories in those! :-)

Have a great trip - look forward to hearing more if you get a chance.

Ellen

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reporting Live from Cap Juluca

Ahhh! My first fix. I feel like I am right there.

Keep it coming please.

You are our lifeline.

Be limin'

rockville centre, ny
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reporting Live from Cap Juluca

Wonderful news! We'll be there November 19th!

If you check out any of the other rooms, let us know...I'm requesting Villa 10 room 3 that we love...was told it would be under renovation during our time...hopefully that one will be finished early!

Loved the post!

Thanks

Kathy

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reporting Live from Cap Juluca

Oooh vicariously sucking it all in! Your the best for thinking of us out here.

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reporting Live from Cap Juluca

Day on the beach followed by dinner at Veya? If you asked me to describe my perfect day, I couldn't have done it better.

Glad you're enjoying Cap Juluca and I look forward to (hopefully!) more live reporting.

Anguilla
Level Contributor
441 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Reporting Live from Cap Juluca

Article from today's "Anguillian" newspaper:

Condé Nast Traveler Ranks Cap Juluca 13 in Its ‘Best In The World’ 2011 Readers' Choice Awards -

Already awash in accolades over recent years, Condé Nast Traveler will announce in its November issue that its readers have ranked Cap Juluca as #13 of the 40 Top Resorts in the Caribbean and the #1 Resort on Anguilla. The winners of Condé Nast Traveler 2011 Readers' Choice Awards for the ‘Best In The World’ are sifted from more than 8 million votes cast in their annual Readers’ Choice Awards survey.

Commenting on this most recent achievement, Cap Juluca’s General Manager, Gary Thulander, said: “We’re thrilled to be recognized by the readers of the Condé Nast Traveler. We appreciate each and every accolade we receive, but especially when it comes from the readers. These accolades can be attributed to the teamwork demonstrated on a daily basis by our Julucan family. We recognize that our exceptional team here at Cap Juluca is one of our greatest assets and we congratulate each and everyone of our Julucans on this accomplishment, as we continue providing quality service and “Creating Experiences Beyond Expectations” for our guests, in our quest to regain the number one position in the Caribbean.”

Cap Juluca has consistently ranked amongst the top hotels in the Caribbean throughout the years and enjoys an exceptionally high percentage of repeat guests.

- Press Release

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reporting Live from Cap Juluca

Are you on the second floor or ground floor? We have stayed in villa 5 our last 3 visits but never had glass doors.. just curious if I should request your room for our upcoming trip! Thanks and glad you are having a great time! xoo Gigi

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
145 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reporting Live from Cap Juluca

Thank you so much for the seaweed update! I leave next weekend & I was the one who saw the article in the NY Times that sent me into depression ;-)

(not to cancel my trip, but was just sad at the prospect of not being able to enjoy the beach we love!)

Enjoy your trip!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
493 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reporting Live from Cap Juluca

Gigi, all of the ground floor rooms in villa 5 have the glass doors now, but not the upper floors yet. :)