We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oz

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
oz

Zabar:

I have been wondering how Oz was doing. Such a wonderful thing to save a sweet pup and take him back to the States with you.

Please give an update.

Thanks

Texas
Level Contributor
372 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oz

Pepper.....interesting timing on your post.....I was just wondering about Oz when I read Zabar's response to the Scrub Island debacle.

Looking forward here to hearing about the lastest on Oz......

Anguilla
Level Contributor
927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oz

Dear “Pepper” and “Sam”….

Thank you for thinking of “Oz”, the namesake of our departed and beloved Golden Retriever Zabar.

I’m happy to report that Oz is not so little anymore. He is now a strapping 38 pounds of muscle and has boundless energy. To recap, little Oz weighed an emaciated 11 pounds on July 17th when my wife and I first spotted him, laying alongside of Blowing Point Road. Oz was also extraordinarily anemic and near death with a 1.5 hemoglobin level.

Although we have advertised Oz for adoption in more than two dozen newspapers (in print and online), we have been unable to locate a suitable adoptive home for him. Many people have expressed interest, but for one reason or another, we have decided that this very brave puppy deserved just a little more than what was being offered by others.

Ozzie has some idiosyncrasies (don’t we all) that include behaviors which prevent us from making a quick and convenient adoptive choice. Amongst other things, at nine months old with still another nine months of growth likely, Ozzie is already incredibly agile and can easily jump over the 42” high wall that surrounds our home. That is a very dangerous reality because he is extremely protective of us, and attempts to chase anyone that dares to walk by his domain, in addition to barking at anyone and anything in his vicinity. Consequently, Oz can never be allowed to remain unsupervised when he is playing outdoors. A couple of other things that concern us is his aggressiveness with our 3 year old grandson and his unfortunate need to devour his food in an instant, instead of leisurely enjoying those special breakfast and dinner moments.

We’re almost certain that Oz had to compete with several other litter mates in order to get anything to eat for the first 5½ months of his life, and the amount of food that was probably offered at the same time to all of the puppies in a communal dish was not sufficient. Consequently, he lunges at us and the food dish when it is calmly presented to him. We decided to feed him by hand in order to slow down the intake of food and prevent any future intestinal blockage but this is not a very pleasant activity for Oz or us.

However, I must tell you that this little dog has won our hearts. We hired a very capable dog/people trainer who has patiently instructed us in the manner to deal with every one of his behavioral quirks. Oz walks like an angel on his lead and pays strict attention to most commands. In addition, Oz is completely socialized with other dogs, and attends a wonderful Doggie Day Care Center at least 3 to 4 times a week - for 5 hours per session. The day care center includes several dogs that are quite a bit larger and stronger than Oz, but he purposefully seeks out the bigger dogs and literally runs them ragged in their sometimes rough and tumble play. You’ve got to see his unbridled strength and energy in order to believe it.

Oz has also learned (the hard way) how to be respectful of cats. One of our adopted cats, a formerly feral Calico named "Barnie" (that we rescued after she survived a barn fire), has diligently tutored Oz (with her claws and teeth) in the "dos and donts" of peacefully coexisting with cats.

So, the saga of “Oz” continues.

I can promise you that Oz will remain with us (forever if necessary) unless we can resituate him in an absolutely ideal environment with a family that is going to offer him the love, protection and attention that he deserves and receives from us. Zabar

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oz

"...unless we can resituate him in an absolutely ideal environment with a family that is going to offer him the love, protection and attention that he deserves and receives from us. Zabar"

Sounds like he's already found it. And you cannot know how grateful I am that you are the ones in his life.

Perhaps as time goes on, and he begins to trust a bit more, he won't be as much like a hyperactive kid anymore.

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oz

Beautiful story, Zabar, thanks for the update. It certainly brought a smile to my face this morning.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
815 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oz

That's wonderful Zabar - much luck and patience to you as you continue working with Oz. Our rescue dog Ginger (from the south also but only as far as the Carolinas) obviously had spent a good deal of time eating out of garbage cans and running away anytime a person picked something up quickly (as if they might throw it... at her I suspect) It took about 2 months for her to figure out that food was coming regularly and she didn't have to nose around in the garbage cans - it took a good year before she wouldn't flinch every time I picked up the dog brush or threw one of her toys for her to play with. She still goes nuts whenever she sees small, muscular men (no idea what that is about) and is so ridiculously attached to us that we've had to work on separation anxiety very diligently. As for the cat thing, as a local dog trainer told us "you have large cats right? don't worry they'll have her trained in a few weeks" - I guess that's universal. God bless and keep up the good work - so happy Oz found you!

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: oz

so wonderful! G

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: oz

Zabar,

My Mom once told me that "there are dog owners, and there are dog lovers." Thank you for being the latter...and for being so amazing!

Uni

8. Re: oz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2012, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla