We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CLT airport

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
CLT airport

Flying into St. Martin instead of AXA for first time. However the travel there is long. After a red-eye from Denver to Charlotte have a 4+

layover there before the SXM flight. Any food/shops anyone recommends to kill the time. I am thinking the airport is pretty small.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
405 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CLT airport

I really can't recommend any shops/food, although there are a fair number of them, but Charlotte is a major hub and the airport is pretty large.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,132 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CLT airport

Why don't you post on Charlotte forum

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CLT airport

Hi Kate,

Lucky you - back to Anguilla in the winter! I often connect through Charlotte and it is a very nice airport. Lots of shops. Nothing special in the way of restaurants, Chili's or TGI Friday types, and a few sports bars. In the center of the terminals there is a nice area with rocking chairs, and at some times of the day, piano music.

Have a great trip!!!!

New York
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: CLT airport

CLT is a great airport and at the end of the terminal where your flight leaves to SXM is very, very open with almost 3 story ceilings and lots of windows and bright..... There is a nice bar there and that area is a great place to chill,relax or nap. Not cramped and not crowded. There is also the main hub with several shops and restaurants and rocking chairs for people watching (more crowded).

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: CLT airport

A second vote for the white rocking chairs - bring your book, people watch, or simply watch the planes coming and going. I wasted 2 hours there and hardly knew any time had passed. Besides, you're on the way to AXA!

Enjoy,

Uni

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CLT airport

CLT is a huge airport and it is rather nice.

LIke others said, there are many different bars and restaurants. We flew USAir last trip and I don't remember which terminal we were in but there was a nice, quiet bar with good by the glass wine selections. Lots and lots of shops. There used to be Nascars on display.

Are you coming back through CLT? We did and that is where we cleared customs. Cleared customs in CLT for several caribbean trips. We actually missed our connection when returning via SXM and cut it very close two other times so having lots of time in CLT on a return isn't a bad thing.

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
403 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CLT airport

It is a nice airport. We have taken the DEN->SXM route the last 2 or 3 times to AXA. The rocking chairs area is great for a while. Nice mobiles over the bar area that are in motion if the bar is open.

The return trip is not as pleasant. They have this room that they herd everyone into where you wind around in lines until it is your turn for Immigration. If you are lucky it only take 1 hour. We usually have 2 hours on the return trip and you need it!.

HTH - Bea

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CLT airport

CLT is a nice airport. I live about 20 minutes away, makes for very convenient air travel. Phillips Seafood is one of my favorites for meals. Also, apparently there's a new rum bar but I didn't see it on my last trip through.

9. Re: CLT airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2013, 10:23