We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Anguilla activities?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Anguilla activities?

I read this forum constantly and it's making me very excited for my honeymoon in Anguilla. It seems like this island has such a loyal following of faithful visitors, and I figure it must be for good reason! My fiance and I are going for a week during Carnival in early August.

Besides laying on the beach, swimming, and enjoying the island's delicious food, what other fun activities do you recommend? Are there any Anguilla "experiences" that shouldn't be missed? Fun things to participate in during Carnival?

We want to relax of course, but we're also active, outdoorsy types and want to explore the island. We are renting a car, and we're staying at Frangipani.

Can't wait to go!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Anguilla activities?

Go and watch a boat race if you are there during Carnival. August Thursday is the one out of Meads Bay, if I remember correctly. There will be barbecue stands set up on the beach and beer stalls and bands playing. I'm sure someone at Frangipani or Straw Hat can give you more information about times.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Anguilla activities?

Our favorite activity is to chat it up with the locals. Anguillians are some of the most wonderful people I have ever met.

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Anguilla activities?

You might enjoy taking a kayak from Da Vida and heading over to Little Bay to spend half a day. Be sure to take snorkeling gear as there are turtle's out that way.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
160 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Anguilla activities?

Sitting at the corner table at Dune Preserve, chilling out with great tunes!

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Anguilla activities?

The Meads Bay boat race is Thurs. People normally gather down by Carimar to party. There are also several boat races out of Sandy Ground. Don't miss the Parade of Troupes on Friday in the Valley. Not sure the 2012 Carnival schedule is out yet but it is normally posted on anguillaforum.com. There is the Miss AXA Pagent and Calypso Monarch competition in the evening.

Do a day sail/snorkel trip to Prickly Pear and Sandy Island with Capt Rollins on Chocolat--lunch included.

On Thurs night go to Anacaona for the local native buffet and to see the Mayoumba Folkloric Group perform. They're great

new york
Level Contributor
393 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Anguilla activities?

Watching Luna Yacht in Meads Bay today.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Anguilla activities?

Snorkeling!!!! My favorite activity on any island in the Caribbean! LOL! ;~>

Take an excursion to Prickly Pear and have lunch while you're there. If you take Chocolat I think it will also include stopping in at Sandy Island and maybe even Little Bay.

http://pricklypearanguilla.com/main.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT1lU-AmXLo

Going out with Junior Fleming, 'The Pied Piper of Shoal Bay East & Upper Shoal Bay'! Junior has a glass bottom boat and knows the waters of Anguilla like the back of his hand. He can take you to all the most interesting places for snorkeling and tailor the trip depending on how long you want to be out and your level of comfort in the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjKICBOkSfk

He can also take you to Sea Fans, Madeariman Reef and Scrub Island.

There's also some snorkeling in the reefs in front of Dune Preserve on Rendezvous Bay and at the extreme other end near where The Gumbs hotel used to sit.

Anguilla
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Anguilla activities?

August Monday...first Monday of the month starts Carnival - J ouvert Morning. It is the craziest parade you'll ever see. It starts in the Valley around 4 or 6 am (no one really knows) and pretty much everyone living on the island is in the parade dressed as their imaginations let them. The parade ends in Sandy Ground where the party continues into the wee wee hours - really something to experience. Best spot is about 9ish in the morning go to the roundabout at Ace hardware, pick a comfy spot and watch Anguillian people celebrate life.

Check these links -

anguilla-beaches.com/anguilla-carnival.html

www.axasummerfestival.com/welcome11.php

BTW since August 1st is on a Wednesday this year the parade will be on Monday August 6th.

North Carolina
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite Anguilla activities?

Our fave activities from our trips to Anguilla are:

Take a Sunset Cruise, try Paddle Boarding, rent a car to explore the island+ the lovely beaches, rent bicycles to explore in the open air, take a snorkel trip, try as many restaurants as you can as there are so many amazing options, and just talk to the incredibly lovely people of this uber-special island!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite Anguilla activities?

Thanks all!

Get answers to your questions about Anguilla