We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable plane fare

Woodstock, Maryland
Level Contributor
400 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable plane fare

Never been to Anquilla, what would be a reasonable plane fare from Baltimore, is it cheaper to fly to St. Maarten and take ferry or just as cheap to fly into Anguilla. Also what is a really nice hotel to stay in?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable plane fare

The easiest flight itinerary from Baltimore is on USAir to SXM. You can fly BWI-CLT-SXM or, on certain days of the week, nonstop PHL-SXM. The fares will vary throughout the year, so the price really depends when you are going. There are three nice hotels on the island: Cap Juluca, Cuisinart, and Viceroy. There are also nice smaller boutique hotels such as Frangipani.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable plane fare

From the East Coast it's almost always more cost effective to fly into SXM. There's a United flight out of Dulles that goes weekly. Otherwise ALR has given you good alternatives. There are also good 8AM nonstops from Newark (UA) and JFK (AA). Lots of ways to get across the 5 miles of water - air, boat shuttle and public ferry.

ALR also gave you the three top hotel choices, but there are many others - and some of them are very, very nice. Good luck. Anguilla is a very special place.

hp
Level Contributor
357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable plane fare

from bwi look at flights to puerto rico (airtran), and then flights from there direct to anguilla. bwi is my airport of preference, but non stops from philly to st maarten and then ferry or short flight to anguilla is also an option worth consideration.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable plane fare

Yes, I didn't mention the United flight from Dulles. The trafic is less predictable from Baltimore to DC than to PHL and it takes the same amount of time, so we prefer the PHL flight to the IAD flight. I've done the IAD flight once, though. And another nice boutique hotel, besides Frangipani, is Cove Castles. The Air Tran/AAS flights haven't lined up well for me in the past because of connection times and/or price, but it's worth looking at since it's always changing.

Edited: 15 April 2012, 18:40
Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable plane fare

The cheapest way to go is to Fly into SXM and take the public ferry from Marigot--About $60 for two people for ferry

If you fly into San Juan your flight options are Cape Air and Anguilla Air Express.

Cape Air runs about $350 /person round trip taxes included. and AAE runs about $200/person plus taxes and service charges. Cape Air is small 9 passenger commuted planes and suspect AAE is too.

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable plane fare

I'm not sure what's reasonable to you, but we've paid as much as $750pp flying from the northeast to SXM or to AXA, partly because we're not usually flexible with our dates by more than a day or two on either side of travel. This year we booked earlier than usual when we saw what we consider a very good airfare to SXM at around $450 pp. When American Eagle was still flying into Anguilla, we found airfare around $450-500 each time we flew there. I think my husband and I are in the minority that it now costs us more to get to Anguilla via SXM than it did for us to fly to AXA.

Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable plane fare

just got saw airfare from bwi to sam for $478. That's the cheapest I've seen in months. YOu can take a ferry to Anguilla. It was on US Airways.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable plane fare

well, so much for negotiating...

I just hung up w/ Anguilla Air Express. Using the theory that there will be 7 of us and therefore we would guarantee AAE a full flight, maybe they would offer some consideration. Negative. $399 pp. period. Regardless of whether they only have 2 ppl booked or 8.

They must never have less than a full flight or they would have taken the time to at least think about it. Business must come easy.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable plane fare

If they would have negotiated on the fare, then they would be open to lots of deals, such "am I getting the last seat and therefore have to make up my mind quickly? Well, as the flight is going to be full, why not cut me some slack?"

That would go against the airline deals that the first bookings are (could be) cheaper to attract passengers, but later ones more expensive as seats become rare.

Maybe you would have got a better rate if you tried to charter your own flight from SXM to AXA, dfeparting just before or after the scheduled flight.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonable plane fare

The only reason I am interested in the flight from SJU is because we are coming on friday and that limits our options. e.g. Spirit does not fly to SXM on Fridays.